Notices

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cupertino, CA
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
i dont see how having FF3 on maemo is speical. we already have a mozilla based browser, and its really annoying (its slow a lot).

unless FF3 is a lot faster or something, i dont see whats special about this.
Firefox 3 has *enormous* improvements in speed and memory usage. MicroB is currently using a Mozilla version from early last summer (iirc), and so it doesn't have many of these improvements. It would be great if MicroB was updated to a more recent version, but I don't know what their plans are.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cupertino, CA
Some current news:

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=349

- current build is 5.9x faster than current MicroB on the SunSpider JS benchmark.

http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/20...s-mobile-baby/

- nightly xulrunner builds being planned
- links to bugs covering better Maemo integration

Sweet! I tried to install XULRunner + TouchBrowser before, but couldn't get it running and then got distracted by other things. I can't wait to check out the fennec browser.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Wow, I just installed this and must say that when it works it is mighty impressive. Pages load in a snap with all the elements loaded. It does crash almost every 3 or 4 sites. IMO this is the browser to look out for and the one Nokia should pick up to be the internal browser. It loads the Gmail full version with the chat enabled, Youtube worked fine, flash on the Nokia website was good too. Simple websites loaded in a second.
When marketing people talk about the "full" walk around web this is what I evisioned desktop speed in a small browser with no zooming or left out elements.

Sweet, can't wait to see this if this makes it into the next update!

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Geneva,Switzerland
Excited. Does this will have "Save as PDF" feature similar to Xournal?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
No?

I seriously doubt Mozilla will implement such a feature for the tablet (since such feature is not present in the upstream version).

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Used this browser last night for a while, it does crash a lot (like every couple of minutes) but if this browser can ever be stabilized and optimized it would be great. I loaded complex webpages with multiple flash elements with ease, google apps seem to load much better, I am very excited to see what can come out of this. This year the maemo platform seems to be getting some really exciting browser activity.

I get the impression that the /tmp folder has a size limit. This might explain some of the crashing of Firefox in the minefield package. I do not see an entry for /tmp in the /etc/fstab file. Does anyone know where in the startup scripts /tmp is mounted?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Code:
export TMPDIR='/var/tmp'
should do the trick.