Originally Posted by thp View Post
Pretty nice.

Ctrl+B, Ctrl+N and Ctrl+M turn on some overlays (name of widget is N and layout/spacing is M, don't know what B is supposed to do) for debugging.
Hah, you found our debug modes

Ctrl+B is bounding box visualization (the area a widget paints and reacts in)
Ctrl+N displays object names
Ctrl+M displays widget margins
Ctrl+S toggles object sizes

The really cool one however is Ctrl+R, it rotates the whole UI by 90 degrees at a time so you can test your app in different orientations without needing a special simulator or real hardware.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tomasj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aldevil View Post
how about fixing the problems in Maemo 5 first?
Maemo 5 has a whole separate team focused right now on bringing you lots of goodies in the already announced upcoming PR1.2 release for Maemo 5. Nokia is a pretty big company and Maemo's not so small either anymore, we're capable of multitasking and just throwing more people at one task doesn't necessarily make it go any faster (as those who have developed software surely can testify to)

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to tomasj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
about those modes...
oh, well, tomas was faster, but there is another one
ctrl-f shows fps counter

Last edited by dubik; 2010-02-15 at 16:37.

Originally Posted by tomasj View Post
If you look at the MeeGo architecture picture, you will see that there are several reference user interfaces for different classes of devices.

In the same way that it doesn't really make sense to directly port desktop applications to mobile, we are still finding out what works best on different device types. The common factor you can rely on across all MeeGo devices at the moment is Qt. That doesn't necessarily mean a Qt based UI is the optimal fit for a MID type of device. Let's see
I think that page could use a quick edit. At the bottom, the picture should read

Adaptation

not

Application

its pretty cool. There are 2 things though. After installing it, free space in / is only 14mb, before installation it was about 36mb.
Also after installation I cannot change my theme on n900, i goto Settings and click Themes but nothing shows up, happening with everyone? I also rebooted but same behavior. And one more thing which is pretty strange, in the gadget gallery, where ever text can be written, the letter "o" does not appear, i try writing "hello world" and what appears is "hell w rld".

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
In the same way that it doesn't really make sense to directly port desktop applications to mobile, we are still finding out what works best on different device types. The common factor you can rely on across all MeeGo devices at the moment is Qt. That doesn't necessarily mean a Qt based UI is the optimal fit for a MID type of device. Let's see
Rule of web design that would be nice to keep in mind here:

Content is separate from presentation is separate from functionality.

Qt is a toolkit, not a UI. It creates the ability to put content in the appropriate presentation container so that the desired functionality cam be demonstrated.

1 - 2.2in screens
2.2 - 3.3in
3.3 - 4.1in
5in - 7in
7in - 10(ish) in

These are all different sizes to which user interface has to be optimized. Inside of these screen sizes are expectations of use that drive function. Qt can write to all of these. The OS doesn't matter as long as there is tight governance around the abilities of devices in these form factors, and how the UI elements get presented.

Maemo 5 already has a leg up with Qt support; Symbian, Windows, Linux, etc will all benefit from the groundwork laid here. And except for the smallest two screen measurements I've listed, Maemo/Moblin/Meego is nicely positioned from a UX standpoint.

Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
its pretty cool. There are 2 things though. After installing it, free space in / is only 14mb, before installation it was about 36mb.
Also after installation I cannot change my theme on n900, i goto Settings and click Themes but nothing shows up, happening with everyone? I also rebooted but same behavior. And one more thing which is pretty strange, in the gadget gallery, where ever text can be written, the letter "o" does not appear, i try writing "hello world" and what appears is "hell w rld".
Thanks for reporting this issue. I've managed to reproduce the theming issue on my device and will try to have it fixed.

I feel at this point that it's worth reminding people trying Widgets Gallery that, as with any preview software, it's wise to do a backup before trying it on your own device. While we have, of course, tested it on many devices, we can't test every possible situation and combination of packages. Our testing tends to focus on freshly flashed devices.

Thanks,

Max.

The Following User Says Thank You to davidmaxwaterman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
this is bull crap, maemo5 will be forgotten in a 6 months from now. There are so much bugs to fix and the OS that nokia so hype about and proud of will only just a bridge. it's not like N900 is incapable of running Maemo6, it is very capable and should be bring forth the new OS into it. So far so many bulls going on with the controversy of N900 is not good enough to be the next subling of MAEMO6. Everyone who is buying he device now are holding back to wait, so as the developers? if the OS will soon be history and not many device sold enough to meet their margin of consideration to write software for this device no one is going to invest their money into a device that will not be a sucess product!

Why not just giving us the great maemo6 when it comes out? since maemo5 is the only bugjar to make maemo6 better. why treatig us with such terrible way of testing? there is no doubt that N900 is a good device but maemo5 is not even close to being refined. I can't even use my bluetooth headset with it!

seriously Nokia is big but size won't make the OS problems and hardware problems on the N900 goes away. i personally love my N900 but there are so much potential hidden inside it. Which could be discover by maemo6. But hey NO MAEMO6 for N900.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-02-16 at 02:57.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
To the N900 users in this thread:

- The developers in this thread have nothing to do with Nokia business decisions e.g. N900 support and updates. If you notice the first thing they have done is to prepare a Widget Gallery binary for Maemo 5 making it available in Extras-devel. So please let them work on their stuff and help them with testing, feedback and hugs.

- Please get used to open development. Most of the interesting stuff that runs with software has a newer version being developed somewhere. The difference with open development is that you can have a preview and even an involvement long before a real product comes to the shelves.

- It is not easy to drag good developers to noisy forums like Talk. The easiest for themis to setup a project mailing list that anyway will get the people understanding the technology and discussing about it. Posts shouting at them about Nokia, the N900, etc won't help getting more of their time here.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Maemo 5 has a whole separate team focused right now on bringing you lots of goodies in the already announced upcoming PR1.2 release for Maemo 5. Nokia is a pretty big company and Maemo's not so small either anymore, we're capable of multitasking
That would be a milestone if that is true as one thing that Nokia have consistently failed at has been to support anything but the latest-anything.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post: