*** Update *** Bought new battery - tried to start N900 and didn't get past the screen with Nokia in blue on white background. Thinking the new battery might not be fully charged I left it charging all night, this time back in my home country ith a wall charger - and now the second battery is empty also!

I now assume I will have to reflash - but before getting a third battery or an external charger - I want to make sure it will work. When I connect the phone to the computer via usb I cannot see the n900 as a flash drive. Does this mean I won't be able to flash?

Hi,
I am in the middle of a trip in the USA (not my own country), and my phone suddenly died - I'm pretty sure it is the battery (not charging, begins with yellow constant light, then flickers, then this starts over and over).
The big problem is, I use the phone as a GPS - and now I don't know my way around....
Where would be the place to look for a battery (in a real store - not amazon or ebay where I would have to wait a few days), what retail store carries them? I am in Daytona Beach Florida.

Last edited by oved_etzot; 2011-02-09 at 08:12. Reason: update

Probably not going to find a store carrying N900 parts unless you find a highly specialized cell-phone store.

Fortunately the N900 uses the same battery as the 5800XM (i think). If that is the case, you can try any T-Mobile store as they (used to) carry the 5800 so should have spare batteries for sale.

At least you would think so...

Are you sure the battery just does not need an overnight charge from an AC outlet? I heard that if the battery gets to the point of switching off it can be difficult to get it to charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannycamps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
if you've just been using the car charger try using a wall charger, mine done the same on a trip and i bought a new car charger first, no help, then in the shop before i bought a battery got the guy to try a wallcharger out and afer a few trys it would charge again.

dont know about american markets, but it uses the same battery as the 5800 which was reasonably popular here so most small phone stores stock them if its totally dead.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
the nokia 5230 is carried by t-mobile stores in the US(or at least it was recently) and shares the same battery with the n900

also really has kind of better maps and gps in my opinion

Unfortunately - I did not take the wall charger with me. Only charging in the rental car, or through my laptop. Neither are doing anything to the battery after 4 hours - but I will leave it overnight.
Thanks both of you for responding.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
just call some cell phone shops in the morning and ask if they have a bl-5j nokia battery, it should be pretty common. nokia website shows 9 different phones that use it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
Unfortunately - I did not take the wall charger with me. Only charging in the rental car, or through my laptop. Neither are doing anything to the battery after 4 hours - but I will leave it overnight.
Thanks both of you for responding.
the wall charger should be a lot easier to get hold of, its a pretty standard connection these days. and cheaper. just avoid any multi-adaptor style ones they can cause problems too.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
You're more than likely to find a shop carrying a battery or battery charger using google search to find a store near you... than posting your request here. Try walmart, Radio shark, Best Buy, etc... Good luck.

Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
Hi,
I am in the middle of a trip in the USA (not my own country), and my phone suddenly died - I'm pretty sure it is the battery (not charging, begins with yellow constant light, then flickers, then this starts over and over).
The big problem is, I use the phone as a GPS - and now I don't know my way around....
Where would be the place to look for a battery (in a real store - not amazon or ebay where I would have to wait a few days), what retail store carries them? I am in Daytona Beach Florida.
it sure looks like a symptoms of reboot loop to me and not a battery problem what did you install before this happen.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
i've had the n800 and n900 do some weird reboot loops that seemed to be caused by using usb to charge instead of the wall socket charger, so i think some weird stuff can happen. people have tried to explain it before but i never really saw a good explanation.