Posts: 25 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Greece
May it be my first post, I am an intermediate user and decided to post my experience with N900 in combination with the Sony Erricsson A2DP Bluetooth stereo headset, HBH-DS970.
I used to operate the headset with a P990 and just could not part with it!

->The pairing process is quite simple, following the instructions of both devices!

->After setting the headset as a "trusted" device, the first bug kicks in:
If the headset is switched on first and the N900 bluetooth service second, no automatic connection takes place, which whould be quite natural, since the phone is expected to look for "trusted" bluetooth headsets, connect to them and activate sounds on them automatically!
This issue can easily be overcome by switching the devices on in proper order (or by keeping the N900 bluetooth always on ), or going to N900's Bluetooth>Devices>HBH-DS970 and selecting "Connect" (quite a trouble).

After dealing with the connection issues, the work that's supposed to be done is devided into two services:
1)Headset (for making calls)
2)Media transfer (for high quality sound by apps/OS)

->As for the headset service, it can be quite unstable: it is turned on and off as many as two times before each call, which is a little bit of a nuiscance (which was not the case with the P990).
Furthermore, I am not quite sure if this is the case because I started using them both simultaneously, but it seems that after a few calls, the sound of calls gets "lost", no matter where I redirect it (phone/headset) and I can do nothing but restart the N900 in order to fix the bug!

->On the other hand, the media service works sweet, with no sound or application lag (as was on P990) in spite of a few "bugs":
1)The headset comes with media control buttons (volume,play,pause etc) which do not work unless the media player is on the top (not even with the widget playing). The strong point of the headset is it has a seperate "volume meter", which ensures the volume controls work separately from the set volume of N900!
2)If earphones are plugged in, the sound is redirected to them after the end of each track! This is part of the problem of the embedded media player not having a "sound output" selection!

That's all for now, hope u enjoyed!
I'll keep posting my experiences with N900, so look forward to them!

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Hoshiro View Post
May it be my first post, I am an intermediate user and decided to post my experience with N900 in combination with the Sony Erricsson A2DP Bluetooth stereo headset, HBH-DS970.
I used to operate the headset with a P990 and just could not part with it!

->The pairing process is quite simple, following the instructions of both devices!

->After setting the headset as a "trusted" device, the first bug kicks in:
If the headset is switched on first and the N900 bluetooth service second, no automatic connection takes place, which whould be quite natural, since the phone is expected to look for "trusted" bluetooth headsets, connect to them and activate sounds on them automatically!
This issue can easily be overcome by switching the devices on in proper order (or by keeping the N900 bluetooth always on ), or going to N900's Bluetooth>Devices>HBH-DS970 and selecting "Connect" (quite a trouble).

After dealing with the connection issues, the work that's supposed to be done is devided into two services:
1)Headset (for making calls)
2)Media transfer (for high quality sound by apps/OS)

->As for the headset service, it can be quite unstable: it is turned on and off as many as two times before each call, which is a little bit of a nuiscance (which was not the case with the P990).
Furthermore, I am not quite sure if this is the case because I started using them both simultaneously, but it seems that after a few calls, the sound of calls gets "lost", no matter where I redirect it (phone/headset) and I can do nothing but restart the N900 in order to fix the bug!

->On the other hand, the media service works sweet, with no sound or application lag (as was on P990) in spite of a few "bugs":
1)The headset comes with media control buttons (volume,play,pause etc) which do not work unless the media player is on the top (not even with the widget playing). The strong point of the headset is it has a seperate "volume meter", which ensures the volume controls work separately from the set volume of N900!
2)If earphones are plugged in, the sound is redirected to them after the end of each track! This is part of the problem of the embedded media player not having a "sound output" selection!

That's all for now, hope u enjoyed!
I'll keep posting my experiences with N900, so look forward to them!
Hello thanks for your post.
Just two things about this maybe can help.
A Device will never search for Headset, due it is acting as a Server and not as the client. Sop automatic findings always works when you start the BT of the Device and then start the Headset (turn on).
Normally the Headset will search for his last connected devices and the Device will ask if it should connect (if not set to trusted)

Also be aware that the 2 components you are using have different BT Specification like A2DP 1,2 (N900) ves 1,0 (Headset)
So there can be some functionality issues and also breakdowns.

Me personally I use the NOKIA BH-113 which works perfect without any interruption or reconnection. (which uses also A2DP 1.2) So it can be just a Profile issue.

As your Headset is already 4 years old, there has been a lot of improvement within the technic.

If you need to compare and find BT Components if they fit with each oher.
This Site is preety good and up to date:

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/listings.cfm

BR

Wolf

I have used your headset since it came out, and then i got the HBH-DS980 as soon as it came out too. Even if it is a little old, there are no other A2DP headset any sexier than the Sony HBH-DS980
I never use it for headset-mode, because the mic is very sensitive and the caller can very loudly hear my footsteps if I walk... One point you omited to say... the screen became useless when i switched to Nokia devices!! Is there any way at all to have the song display on the screen?!?!

to wolfpac72:
Surely, I wasn't expecting anything more from such an old headset...
I just didn't want to trash it, so I began experimenting with the two devices' collaboration, which is more than pleasing!!!
->edit: the P990 did search for the headset and connected to it automatically upon switching the mobile's bt on...
in fact, it also did as well upon any in-/out- coming call
....as much as i hate to admit it, the sharing&connecting-over-bluetooth capabilities of P990 exceed those of N900...

to IsaacDFP: come on, man.... don't tell me you didn't read wolfpac's reply.... that's what it's there for!!!
the two devices come from different manufacturers AND FROM DIFFERENT AGES!!! ...you just can't have it all....
and YES! SE's DS970 & 980 ARE PIECES OF ORNAMENT.....

Last edited by Hoshiro; 2010-03-09 at 16:40.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
[QUOTE=Hoshiro;561336]to wolfpac72:
Surely, I wasn't expecting anything more from such an old headset...
I just didn't want to trash it, so I began experimenting with the two devices' collaboration, which is more than pleasing!!!
->edit: the P990 did search for the headset and connected to it automatically upon switching the mobile's bt on...
in fact, it also did as well upon any in-/out- coming call
....as much as i hate to admit it, the sharing&connecting-over-bluetooth capabilities of P990 exceed those of N900...

Oh ok im always using NOKIA and there it never happened so always Headset searches not the phone. So learned smth new. I did not meant that its not worse trying a combination. Just wanted to point out here some strange behaviour also can come from. Also for others.
When im able to dot in the forum, due mainly i search for help as complete linux newbie

Cheers Wolf

I was just wondering if there was a way to have it all... lol. I remember on Symbian (from N97), there was somebody who had developped something that would do exactly that, but for those Sony Ericsson watches. The display would be useless on devices other than SE, but that program allowed the N97 to properly display track ID, and caller ID on the watch's screen. I was hoping there was something similar here on Maemo. (I admit I never tried installing that program and testing it with my headset though...)

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Hey guys, I just got a hot-off-the-press SE MW600. I used to have a SE HBH-DS220 but it died. The MW600 is a very nice piece of hardware with a built-in FM radio which I really appreciate because the FM radio on the N900 is still unstable and cuts out all the time.

I have also noticed connection issues with the N900, but haven't determined a pattern. Sadly, I have had to re-pair a couple of times. A couple of other issues I have noticed:

1. Media Player output to the MW600 has no bass and the music is very thin sounding. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. The Web Browser does not output sound to Bluetooth, e.g. video playback in the Web Browser goes to the speakers or hardware headphone jack, but not to the MW600.

3. Unexpectedly, other sound events DO go to the MW600, such as key clicks. So, if I'm listening to FM radio on the MW600 and then I start to type something on the N900, the radio is interrupted to play the key clicks!

If anyone has solutions to the about, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Brad

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
bgrigor
I just tried to reproduce the bugs you are reporting.....
1) sound comes clear and full of bass on the HBH-DS970!!!
2) just saw a nice vid on Youtube with the integrated browser and nothing you mentioned happened... sound comes normally to the headset... try unplugging the wire headphones...
3) all OS sounds are sent to the headset and yes.... if one of them is activated, FM sound disappears... -it's an issue of the third-party FM radio applications, if u ask me...

Since only bug No3 was actually a bug of N900, I think it is time to make a request I've been thinking of since I paired the two devices....
->Someone has to build us a deamon overthrowing any commands from apps, and setting the output for sound!

e.g.:
P990 has a very smart buit-in daemon, allowing the user to select the output, EITHER for app media (media service - outputs: Phone speaker/wire headphones/ stereo bluetooth) OR for calls(headphone service - outputs: phone / speaker / wire headphones / stereo bluetooth)!
Picture this: I connect the wire headphones to my car's aux-in, while having the HBH-DS970 paired and changing tracks with its controls!!!!
sweet...
If I try the same with HBH-DS970 and the N900, at the end of each track the sound switches to the bluetooth headset and dissapears from the car speakers....

Last edited by Hoshiro; 2010-03-20 at 11:00.

IsaacDFP:

Just find the author of that app and bring him here so that we can ALL beg him to port / tweak the app to work for N900 and screen-baring headsets...

I'm not sure if this will help with anything at all...
http://www.sic-software.com/modules....pid=72&sic=SIC