Active Topics

After connecting my N900 to PC the phone is not recognized by the PC.
I used new micros USB cable bought on Ebay when this problem occurred (I doobt it is a coincidence). Before, with original cable it worked OK, now it's not working at all.

Windows alerts with:
"USB device not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it".

The phone detects cable being pluged in and offers if I want mass storage or PC Suite mode, but it doesn't matter which one I choose.

It also stopped charging from PC.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by milos621 View Post
I used new micros USB cable bought on Ebay when this problem occurred (I doobt it is a coincidence). Before, with original cable it worked OK, now it's not working at all.

Windows alerts with:
"USB device not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it".

The phone detects cable being pluged in and offers if I want mass storage or PC Suite mode, but it doesn't matter which one I choose.

have you tried to shut down your n900, take battery off, put it back, restart and try to connect again.

If that doesnt help then i would advise to go windows device manager and from view menu select show hidden devices and delete all other but root hubs, host controllers (Be Advised! this deletes all the usb plugged devices drivers what you have connected to your computer from day 1) also disconnect usbs before that operation and also windows reboot after that is recommended. I do not know if something bad happens from this but it has helped me couple of times with usb devices that do not anymore get reconized by windows.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Try charging using PC while the phone is switched off.

Originally Posted by milos621 View Post

Windows alerts with:

May be the cord have some issues.. its pretty common to have faulty cords having low grade wires inside and they create much more resistance then they are supposed to do..

Originally Posted by saadgadit View Post
May be the cord have some issues.. its pretty common to have faulty cords having low grade wires inside and they create much more resistance then they are supposed to do..
Now it also doesn't work with original cord.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
have you tried to shut down your n900, take battery off, put it back, restart and try to connect again.

If that doesnt help then i would advise to go windows device manager and from view menu select show hidden devices and delete all other but root hubs, host controllers (Be Advised! this deletes all the usb plugged devices drivers what you have connected to your computer from day 1) also disconnect usbs before that operation and also windows reboot after that is recommended. I do not know if something bad happens from this but it has helped me couple of times with usb devices that do not anymore get reconized by windows.
I restarted the phone many times, also removed the battery. It's not recognized by my office PC with XP and also by my home MacBook, so it is probably problem with the phone itself.

In office I don't have admin rights so can't run device manager.

everything was working ok before i updated my nokia poc cuite to the new ovi.
gonna reboot now as instructed!

ah well. i hooked it to my laptop it worked. so the problem is not with cable am guessing. now the problem is that am using ubuntu karmic on laptop. and there are no tools for it there! now i have a new mobile worth nothing!

it has to be the upgrade!

N900 is worth everything my friend. This is a very common problem when upgrading from the old pc suite to the new ovi one. I've had this problem like a zillion times. I had to remove every bit of PC connectivity suite, Nokia cable driver etc before it started to recognize again. I am not on ubuntu though. Anyways you should know that the new ovi does not support N900 at the moment. Hopefully soon.

so what is the point of launching the mobile into the market without having any good final syncing products. i mean everything is extremely not user friendly. yes i come from an ubuntu backgroud (barely 1 year) and it is hard and complicated just like maemo. but there are no stable applications for this mobile.cant sync. go figure. i thought this would be a rather easy task to do.