How can I install tgz files? I just got my n810 so I dont know what exactly to do.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ NJ USA
Empire, those are tar g-zipped files (hence tgz). I have a winzip package installed that unzips them. You can also use tar at the command line using the x-terminal application. You'll have to manually navigate to where the file is using the command line, then type the command:

tar -zxf filename.tgz

This is just the first step to uncompress the file. Then (probably) you'll have to run the install routine. There should be some install instructions on the web site you got the tgz file from.

Allen

Last edited by MP2100; 2009-02-21 at 17:09. Reason: more info

The Following User Says Thank You to MP2100 For This Useful Post:
Thank You! I extracted it but I got the files form pupnik.de and that doesn't tell me how to install it. Im trying to download the Snes emulator and Secret Myro chronicles.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Empire, I wrote a really good guide and a decent front-end for that emulator. Please search the forums, i spent almost half and hour writing that guide.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Empire, I wrote a really good guide and a decent front-end for that emulator. Please search the forums, i spent almost half and hour writing that guide.
I have found it but it says permission denied. I used chmod but it says no such file or directory.

The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I have found it but it says permission denied. I used chmod but it says no such file or directory.
What is "it"? Which exact steps did you try? What is the EXACT chmod command you tried, and for what?

Being vague makes it way harder to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
What is "it"? Which exact steps did you try? What is the EXACT chmod command you tried, and for what?

Being vague makes it way harder to help.
Snes9x. I copied the Snes9x files to usr/bin. I go into X Terminal and type in "Snes9x". It says "permission denied". I type in "chmod a=rwx Snes9x" and "Snes9x chmod a=rwx" and both say "Permission Denied.

Do you have to do the chmod as root? If that's the problem just get rootsh for it.