Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
Just imagine! Nokia just started a new beta testing round.

Phone gets handed out (21 oct?)
Hmm? Who got phones on October 21st? I think you are mixing some things up here.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Why manufacturing delay? Aren't the devices already on the manufacturing line. They only need to reflash them with the latest OS.

The key word in this being 'only'.

First Nokia have to decide what exactly they are going to change/update for the final firmware, then write their changes, then check/test the final firmware, then flash it to the production units before they all get boxed/sealed/despatched. Then there's the carriage time to the suppliers, and finally a release date. The hardware is almost certainly ready to roll.

range:

Talking about beta testers who got their phones

Last edited by eikido; 2009-10-23 at 13:10.

Did you guys notice how much much lower the activity is on these threads after Peters announcement?

Creepy

Eikido

Is there any NAM version (using the 850 MHz / 1900 MHz 3g band) of the Nokia N900 expected? if there is one When will be star shipping?

I ask because in my country (Chile) those are the 3g bands used by the mobile telephone companies. The band used in the current version of the N900 (1700 MHz) is expected to be allocated, but the process is just beginning with the companies operating just in the latter 2010.

(http://translate.google.com/translat...-nokia-n900%2F Google translate of the answer by the Undersecretary of Telecommunications of Chile, comment # 12).

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
In reference to your questions on the expected shipment date of the Nokia N900, let me tell you the latest information from Nokia:

The Nokia N900 is a great example of what we and the open source community have been able to achieve with Maemo software. We are working closely with open source developers and for example, at the Maemo Summit in October, we loaned 300 pre-production units to get more feedback from the community. This feedback is extremely important to us and as such we also want to provide the best user experience with the Nokia N900.

We expect it to start shipping during November 2009.

Peter Schneider
Head of Maemo Marketing
Nokia Corporation

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gainsborough, uk
So has Nokia got like thosands of N900 sat on pallets waiting for the final firmware, And a week before they realease it for 3rd or 4th date change they say they have delayed it, ... just perplexes me!!

Most linux distro's for the pc are not final they are always tweaking them, Also Nokia do use the consumers has beta testers all the time, just look at the N96 to start with and now the problems with the N97..

Now i'm a massive fan of nokia, But i just wish they wud just stick to a date and release the bloody thing, it not like they can't update firmware once we got it does it!!!

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden, Stockholm
Originally Posted by pr0xyfl00d3r View Post
So has Nokia got like thosands of N900 sat on pallets waiting for the final firmware, And a week before they realease it for 3rd or 4th date change they say they have delayed it, ... just perplexes me!!

Most linux distro's for the pc are not final they are always tweaking them, Also Nokia do use the consumers has beta testers all the time, just look at the N96 to start with and now the problems with the N97..

Now i'm a massive fan of nokia, But i just wish they wud just stick to a date and release the bloody thing, it not like they can't update firmware once we got it does it!!!
I know what you mean. But the thing is, we developers and engineers, we would understand if such thing would have happened (the release of a buggy N900). Because we know that a firmware is on the way. And we can get started on developing apps and etc.

But if Nokia does so and release a buggy phone, then you would have the media going "Nokias new piece of crap", reviews would be bad, and the phone makes a bad first impression and then you can figure out the rest. And not to forget about the iPhonetalibans.

So actually, in my opinion, Nokia and the Maemo team should take all the time they need to release a fully working bug-free firmware, so for example those iphonetalibans could shut their mouths with their absurd arguments for a piece of crap, iDont.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gainsborough, uk
Originally Posted by zico View Post
I know what you mean. But the thing is, we developers and engineers, we would understand if such thing would have happened (the release of a buggy N900). Because we know that a firmware is on the way. And we can get started on developing apps and etc.

But if Nokia does so and release a buggy phone, then you would have the media going "Nokias new piece of crap", reviews would be bad, and the phone makes a bad first impression and then you can figure out the rest. And not to forget about the iPhonetalibans.

So actually, in my opinion, Nokia and the Maemo team should take all the time they need to release a fully working bug-free firmware, so for example those iphonetalibans could shut their mouths with their absurd arguments for a piece of crap, iDont.
i agree with u! but they can feel free to send me the phone now i do not mind at all :-)

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Does your Momma know you turned out to be this big a Troll!
How am I a "troll"? I posted when I ordered, and I posted when the dithering and delays became too stupid for me to wait. That would have been it - hardly "trolling" - had one person not accused me of "whining" or you hadn't made your comment.

You guys just oppose dissenting opinion or something? Grow up.

is it possible that the phone will be released before like 12 november since i have a travel at 14 november till late december thanks

Tags
black hole, choc santa is a priority, delete this thread, egg on toast, fokia n900000000000000 :d, i love peter, mental instatution, n900 is a hoax :p, n900 is soylent green, not-garbage thread!, november release, peter is hot, peter was here, serenity now, spam, this is daycare, this thread is dead, urge to kill rising, when will it arrive!, whiners unite, your face is a daycare, zamunda