Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Thanks for checking out the link. i've been programming mobile projects for quite a few years now since I started with J2ME and Symbian on the 6600, I have a few Maemo projects and I'm one of the lucky developers receiving a N950 through the MeeGo developer program.

The tutorials I link to in my sig are pretty basic and were created for beginners, and all you really need is the Qt SDK which is a free download... so if you're interested in learning then what's stopping you from learning?

I think i'm gonna make it my mission to find or create (build Frankenstein style, if need be) a filipino Maemo/MeeGo application developer by the end of 2011! Call Ai-Ai and Kris, let them know Pilipinas Got Mobile App Talent is coming soon! If im going to be able to have my dream job in the future (creating applications on Boracay beach) I need the Philippines mobile app industry to get started asap!
That's nice to hear...having received a Nokia N950. Yeah I really wanted to learn, I have zero programming knowledge. I know how to create Macros in Excel as part of my work but I'm not sure if that qualifies as "programming" (or it it at least qualifies for having gained the logic of programming), and I use Linux at home (Ubuntu). Hope you won't mind if I reach out to you from time to time for learning...at your convenient and free time, of course.

I don't know where to start or which to learn first (some people say I should start with C++?)...nevertheless I'll try out your tutorials for beginners.

Indeed, like what Vetsin has mentioned...you seem to have some fondness of the Filipino culture. You have friends/family here?

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Thanks for checking out the link. i've been programming mobile projects for quite a few years now since I started with J2ME and Symbian on the 6600, I have a few Maemo projects and I'm one of the lucky developers receiving a N950 through the MeeGo developer program.
I think i'm gonna make it my mission to find or create (build Frankenstein style, if need be) a filipino Maemo/MeeGo application developer by the end of 2011!
[hay...] <==this is [sigh...] in filipino. hehe
i just saw the N950 hands-on review at the maemo.org's front page... i really want one...
hmm.. how about we make a deal? if i pass as a decent meego developer by the end of 2011 you'll be giving me your N950! so i still got 6 months! haha just kidding... more people will benefit if the N950s are in good hands. but i still want one.
love this community!

sir topet, sige karirin mo na!

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
[hay...] sir topet, sige karirin mo na!
(In English) "go for it!"

Lol, I'll see if I can learn it quickly, admist my busy schedule at work. My job is really a far cry from the field of IT/Programming. But then again, it doesn't hurt to learn new things.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
malay nyo sir yan na pala ang susunod na step sa inyong career! hehe
i think it would be nice working on a project at your own place. you don't have to go through the early moring traffic, congested MRT/LRT, the pollution. hehe yun nga lang nasa bahay mo na rin yung stress kapag malapit na deadline.
i'm actually convincing my younger brother to consider a career in graphics design or even programming if he wants so can do just that.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Mga sir questions,

1. I installed Beat2x game yesterday and uninstalled it a while ago..right now my PokerTh and Tuxrace game are not working properly..it loads the game but shutsdown immediately.. yesterday gumagana pa yung PokerTH and tuxrace ko pro after i uninstalled the beat2x game hindi na sila gumagana.. meron po bang files na dinedelete ang beat2x na game kpag naguninstall ka? pano ko po mapapagana ulit yung mga games ko without the beat2x game?

2. Is there a way or i need to install so my n900 can play mp4 files(i have a downloaded film na mp4 yung format)? weird kasi yung n900 short film na default video na mp4 is playing normally..

Please guys help me...Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
That's nice to hear...having received a Nokia N950. Yeah I really wanted to learn, I have zero programming knowledge. I know how to create Macros in Excel as part of my work but I'm not sure if that qualifies as "programming" (or it it at least qualifies for having gained the logic of programming), and I use Linux at home (Ubuntu). Hope you won't mind if I reach out to you from time to time for learning...at your convenient and free time, of course.

I don't know where to start or which to learn first (some people say I should start with C++?)...nevertheless I'll try out your tutorials for beginners.

Indeed, like what Vetsin has mentioned...you seem to have some fondness of the Filipino culture. You have friends/family here?
You're welcome to reach out anytime, I'll be pleased to give you any pointers, etc that I can I think that Python is easier than C++ for beginners to learn, so maybe have a look at PyQt. But best thing is to start small and grow, but make a start! The tutorials here should be a good place to begin, and don't be afraid to ask questions

Yep I have some friends in the Philippines, no family there. Always happy make more (friends, not family :P )

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
[hay...] <==this is [sigh...] in filipino. hehe
i just saw the N950 hands-on review at the maemo.org's front page... i really want one...
hmm.. how about we make a deal? if i pass as a decent meego developer by the end of 2011 you'll be giving me your N950! so i still got 6 months! haha just kidding... more people will benefit if the N950s are in good hands. but i still want one.
love this community!

sir topet, sige karirin mo na!
haha vestin, we'll see how good a developer you are by December 2011 then I'll think about it :P

Originally Posted by pao_ungas View Post
Mga sir questions,

1. I installed Beat2x game yesterday and uninstalled it a while ago..right now my PokerTh and Tuxrace game are not working properly..it loads the game but shutsdown immediately.. yesterday gumagana pa yung PokerTH and tuxrace ko pro after i uninstalled the beat2x game hindi na sila gumagana.. meron po bang files na dinedelete ang beat2x na game kpag naguninstall ka? pano ko po mapapagana ulit yung mga games ko without the beat2x game?

2. Is there a way or i need to install so my n900 can play mp4 files(i have a downloaded film na mp4 yung format)? weird kasi yung n900 short film na default video na mp4 is playing normally..

Please guys help me...Thanks!!!
hi pao_ungas, let me see if i can offer any help with these By the way, what does pao mean? Cos i like Choco Pao from Andoks very much, is pao like a bun?!

1. It sounds like the file manager may have removed a dependency file that PokerTh and Tuxrace need when you uninstalled the Beat2x game. This could be a piece of code or a library file that PokerTh, Tuxarace, and Beat2x all use that is now missing. The file manager could have uninstalled it not realising that it is still be used by other programs.

You could try reinstalling Poker/Tuxrace again to see if it re-installs that dependency file for you. Else, could you try running the games from Xterminal? When you try and run your game from the icon it just closes without an error message, right? If you run the game directly from Xterminal then the game will close, but left behind on the Xterminal you will see what the error message was. It should tell you what is wrong and, hopefully, how to fix it. if you're not sure what the error means please copy and paste it on this forum so we can help you.

2. MP4 is a supported format for the N900, but you should understand that MP4 is a container format. So actually there is lots of types of MP4 file depending on what settings are chosen, so not all will play on your N900. You might be unlucky and have a file with encoding that cant run on the N900. But a solution in this case is to convert the MP4 file first on your PC then transfer to your N900 if you google for some software for that (i dont have any recommendation as I dont do that much).

If I remember correctly, the N900 only supports up to maximum of 30fps, so anything higher won't work. You can find out about what is and what isn't supported on the wiki:

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Media_Support

You might find that transfering your MP4 file by PC Suite will format it into a file that the N900 can play, so you might want to try it and see if it does.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-07-27 at 13:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
You're welcome to reach out anytime, I'll be pleased to give you any pointers, etc that I can I think that Python is easier than C++ for beginners to learn, so maybe have a look at PyQt. But best thing is to start small and grow, but make a start! The tutorials here should be a good place to begin, and don't be afraid to ask questions

Yep I have some friends in the Philippines, no family there. Always happy make more (friends, not family :P )

haha vestin, we'll see how good you are by 2011 then I'll think about it :P

hi pao_ungas, let me see if i can offer any help with these By the way, what does pao mean? Cos i like Choco Pao from Andoks very much, is pao like a bun?!

1. It sounds like the file manager may have removed a dependency file that PokerTh and Tuxrace need when you uninstalled the Beat2x game. This could be a piece of code or a library file that PokerTh, Tuxarace, and Beat2x all use that is now missing. The file manager could have uninstalled it not realising that it is still be used by other programs.

You could try reinstalling Poker/Tuxrace again to see if it re-installs that dependency file for you. Else, could you try running the games from Xterminal? When you try and run your game from the icon it just closes without an error message, right? If you run it from Xterminal then you will see what the error message is. It should tell you what is wrong. if you're not sure what the error means please copy and paste it on this forum so we can help you.

2. MP4 is a supported format for the N900, but you should understand that MP4 is a container format. So actually there is lots of types of MP4 file depending on what settings are chosen, so not all will play on your N900. You might be unlucky and have a file with encoding that cant run on the N900. But a solution in this case is to convert the MP4 file first on your PC then transfer to your N900 if you google for some software for that (i dont have any recommendation as I dont do that much).

If I remember correctly, the N900 only supports up to maximum of 30fps, so anything higher won't work. You can find out about what is and what isn't supported on the wiki:

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Media_Support

You might find that transfering your MP4 file by PC Suite will format it into a file that the N900 can play, so you might want to try it and see if it does.
Hi Kojacker!

Pao, short for Paolo my name.. wow it's good that you have tried andoks.. taste better than KFC right? hehehe! Try also Chicboy fastfood chain, they have also great chicken dishes and you must try their tasty lechon from Cebu!

1. yes your right because when i tried to install again the beat2x, pokerth and tuxrace works again fine. Yes i will try to open those games using xterminal so i would know the error. I'll let you know the updates. Sorry, kinda newbie here, may i know what is the command for running an app using the xterm?

2. Oh i see..is there any apps that i can install so that my n900 can have additional media support?(such as ogg support, decoders etc.)

Hi Kojacker!

Pao, short for Paolo my name.. wow it's good that you have tried andoks.. taste better than KFC right? hehehe! Try also Chicboy fastfood chain, they have also great chicken dishes and you must try their tasty lechon from Cebu!

1. yes your right because when i tried to install again the beat2x, pokerth and tuxrace works again fine. Yes i will try to open those games using xterminal so i would know the error. I'll let you know the updates. Sorry, kinda newbie here, may i know what is the command for running an app using the xterm?

2. Oh i see..is there any apps that i can install so that my n900 can have additional media support?(such as ogg support, decoders etc.)
Ahh but i am a strange guy - im vegetarian! So i gotta stay away from chicken dishes lol. But I cant stay away from the happy Chicken mascot of Andoks :P I'll have a look for Chicboy next time

If you open Xterminal and type (hitting return after)
Code:
tuxracer
Do you get an error message returned? You might be missing libsdl-mixer1.2. If so, in Xterm write this:

Code:
apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2=1:1.2.6-5+0m5
And hit return - it'll install the file (if missing).

2. I only know of Extra Decoders Support which gives you Real Video, Real Audio, and AC3 audio support. im not sure what else is available for your MP4 problem though.. there might be something out there if you can find it..

Ahh but i am a strange guy - im vegetarian! So i gotta stay away from chicken dishes lol. But I cant stay away from the happy Chicken mascot of Andoks :P I'll have a look for Chicboy next time

If you open Xterminal and type (hitting return after)
Code:
tuxracer
Do you get an error message returned? You might be missing libsdl-mixer1.2. If so, in Xterm write this:

Code:
apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2=1:1.2.6-5+0m5
And hit return - it'll install the file (if missing).

2. I only know of Extra Decoders Support which gives you Real Video, Real Audio, and AC3 audio support. im not sure what else is available for your MP4 problem though.. there might be something out there if you can find it..
Thank you so much Kojacker! i really appreciate your help! The next time your here in the philippines i'll be glad to show you some good vegetarian restaurants.. Anyways, your a european right? so i guess your also fan of football?

The Following User Says Thank You to pao_ungas For This Useful Post:
Thank you so much Kojacker! i really appreciate your help! The next time your here in the philippines i'll be glad to show you some good vegetarian restaurants.. Anyways, your a european right? so i guess your also fan of football?
You're welcome Paolo, and thanks for the veggie restaurant invite!

You didnt mention if it worked but lol Ive seen problems with Beat2x and that libsdl-mixer file before, so I have a sneaking suspicion about it.. Whatever it is we'll find the solution

Yep I'm from the UK and everyone is football crazy here, I'm a Red Devils fan (that's Manchester United).

Tags
filipino, jovit, nokia n900, pacman, pinoy ako, pinoys, selling n900