Active Topics

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
I had something like that at a communitysoftware, showing a newsline just below the top menu, news could be extracted from categories and also explicitly posted with a schedule integrated, from when to when is it visible.
I think it was called Announcement feature, for a single subforum active and the news was just an additional plugin.

As we do not use an all-in-one solution this needs extra coding for the layout I guess but shouldnt be a big issue at all?!

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
ahm, I thought you meant news all kinds. It's so frequent that a Talk thread goes up to the 40th post about something that is actually explained on the top news at http://maemo.org/news

Sorry for the confusion.
both would work together though!! keep both alive !
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I like the idea of an "emergency broadcast system" which can be used to push single-line messages out to all *.maemo.org users.

However, the "all *.maemo.org users" bit is a big technical problem. There are multiple servers and sites all working together which'd somehow need to talk to one central server. The easiest way to accomplish this is probably a piece of JavaScript which is hooked into the MediaWiki template, the Bugzilla template, the vBulletin theme, the Midgard styles, Garage and so on.

This JavaScript could then add the current message, if any; without having to coordinate updates and communication at the server level between these disparate services.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I like the idea of an "emergency broadcast system" which can be used to push single-line messages out to all *.maemo.org users.

However, the "all *.maemo.org users" bit is a big technical problem. There are multiple servers and sites all working together which'd somehow need to talk to one central server. The easiest way to accomplish this is probably a piece of JavaScript which is hooked into the MediaWiki template, the Bugzilla template, the vBulletin theme, the Midgard styles, Garage and so on.

This JavaScript could then add the current message, if any; without having to coordinate updates and communication at the server level between these disparate services.
*bingo* - i think that sounds like a decentish idea. Definitely on the one liner as well. (Could stil luse a one liner frame on the top too) - but prefer the java' stylee idea.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The current news item, BTW, has been buried by 3 people. Time to revisit the "don't overly promote anything which has been thumbed" policy or provide an admin override for key news.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I would say time to explain again what those thumbs up/down do to the news.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Maybe certain news items, like status from maemo.org team, could be made "immune" to thumbs?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I love the idea of a 'status' and 'vital news' ticker feed. As someone who seems to have spent the weekend redirecting people to the 'repos down' thread, anything that answers a question like that before someone starts a thread asking, which the mods then have to merge, would be a great asset.

If it were taking the feed from the general news, I would suggest that Someone Important (or a few Someones) should have the authority to hit some sort of over-ride to ensure that something vital remains in the feed for as long as is necessary - in the case of the repos, until they're back.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
But, but, the weekly news is actually totally unrelated. The idea of this proposal is to have some kind of highly visible banner on all maemo.org pages to announce (critically) important events before we get 20 threads on the same topic by uninformed users.
It might even be worth going a step further and having a news banner that you get before you even get into the site, and have to click "continue to maemo.org" to go on. We see irritating advertising that does this all the time. This would only be used for dire situations such as the repositories being down, of course.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
[...] provide an admin override for key news.
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Maybe certain news items, like status from maemo.org team, could be made "immune" to thumbs?
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
[...] Someone Important (or a few Someones) should have the authority to hit some sort of over-ride to ensure that something vital remains in the feed [...]
Wow, there's an echo in here :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
forums, news, talk