Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Why are people expecting off line maps? Have these been promised?
No concrete promises as such, just a highly derisible feature.
And understandably so, it's often very handy/useful...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Funny thing is even on N900 most of the beautiful things on the list were not out of the box, reverse engineering wlan driver to allow injection (and monitor mode?), USB host mode were all done by members of community. Since Jolla uses Android drivers not holding my breath though, injection/monitor mode thread on XDA died long ago
Yeah more often than not we'll have to forget about the cool lower level stuff that used to be doable on Maemo/MeeGo.
It was the price we paid in order to get driver support (i.e. Android dvr support -much of which is closed binary blobs) for relatively new hw.
But, hopefully there'll still be the odd hw component that's open right down to the dvr level...

If Nemo/Sailfish ever does take-off in a big way (wishful thinking), then we can look forward to a golden of era of openness right down to the dvr lvl.
That's assuming we can convince the big boys (e.g. Qualcomm) to play nice, if not, hopefully Intel will get more OEM's in Android & then Nemo/Cousins.*

*i.e. Tizen/FFOS/Ubuntu & MeR derivatives

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-03-11 at 08:03.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Funny thing is even on N900 most of the beautiful things on the list were not out of the box, reverse engineering wlan driver to allow injection (and monitor mode?), USB host mode were all done by members of community. Since Jolla uses Android drivers not holding my breath though, injection/monitor mode thread on XDA died long ago

edit: hmm, does anyone know of Android device that is capable of injection? Asking Jolla to put a little bit of effort in porting Sailfish to it wouldn't hurt (they claimed it can be done in 24hrs in many cases)
Not that simple I am afraid.
Like you said, that thread on XDA has been inactive for a long time.
There is a small effort to improve the driver here https://github.com/KrasnikovEugene/wcn36xx unfortunately, there is a major blocker preventing monitor mode (least to say packet injection. From that work, it is clear that it is the binary firmware that needs to be patched. Which is possible, but unlikely to happen as it is closed source. https://github.com/KrasnikovEugene/wcn36xx/issues/94

So, the best, still unlikely, possibility is, that Jolla can convince Qualcom to release new binary drivers

Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Cause, about 6-7 years ago you'd be taking that for granted. But then the illuminated Steve Jobs came across...

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following User Says Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I doubt anyone is expecting it for 1.0 but if Jolla are attaching any importance to the votes on together.jolla.com it must be done. Their customers have spoken. People just expect it today, especially ex-Nokia users.

I personally was expecting CalDAV support last November. A smartphone without the ability to sync data isn't very smart IMHO and I find it shocking they can release 1.0 without basic features like calendar and contact syncing.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
No concrete promises as such, just a highly derisible feature.
And understandably so, it's often very handy/useful...
Sygic GPS Navigation version 11.2.6 Android app works with offline maps on Jolla.

Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Sygic GPS Navigation version 11.2.6 Android app works with offline maps on Jolla.
I'd prefer keeping it Android-NSA-free. Native stuff would be very appreciated.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
If I have to install android apps, I'd better get motorola X for half of Jolla's price, or keep N9

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Hmm. Given that back on November 13th last year Jolla trumpeted "Jolla smartphones equipped with HERE capabilities", that they would "provide users with up-to-date map data and rich location information", that such capabilities "are essential for any mobile maps experience", that they bring "Jolla one step closer to achieving a fully equipped mobile operating system.", that "the mapping asset is an integral part of Jolla’s complete user experience." and that Jolla intended to "deliver the optimal mobile maps experience to our customers" it seems pretty damning that we have to look at 3rd party mapping applications if we want a proper mapping experience.

And given that Appello, who provide the native Maps app, are the authors of Wisepilot, one wonders why it wasn't possible to provide a proper navigation app.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
IRQ? Why do you need IRQ?

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"