Notices

Just wondering, has anyone running Debian tried running Wayland/Weston? Wondering if it works and what performance is like.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 460 | Thanked: 2,048 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Just wondering, has anyone running Debian tried running Wayland/Weston? Wondering if it works and what performance is like.
I could have sworn that someone somewhere on TMO said that they got Wayland working but I can't for the life of me find it now.

I'm sorry to report that there hasn't been a lot of progress lately. I'm back down to only one fully working N900. About a week after I received my second one, my primary one fell on the floor and damaged the screen (no output) so I replaced it with the one from my spare. I'll buy a new display once I've managed to open the body but I managed to grind the screw. :/ I guess I need to drill it out.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

i've seen screenshots of wayland on Mer, but no videos to judge performance. just wondered as i've been looking into customised weston shell as a possible replacement for hildon-desktop's matchbox backend.

when i find a cheap, deent condition n900 i'll snap it up to try myself. like you i only have 1 as my daily so can't afford to mess around too much with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,007 | Thanked: 12,351 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
What about joining https://github.com/dyne/arm-sdk ? It took me a couple of hours (while I got used to the sdk) to build a devuan n900 image with LXDE up and running. I was a kind of promised by the maintainer that building "custom" packages will come soon(tm), so in theory we can use that for building a maemo derivative.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
What about joining https://github.com/dyne/arm-sdk ? It took me a couple of hours (while I got used to the sdk) to build a devuan n900 image with LXDE up and running. I was a kind of promised by the maintainer that building "custom" packages will come soon(tm), so in theory we can use that for building a maemo derivative.
I wasn't aware of its existence. Thanks, it looks very interesting. Maybe I should pop into #devuan on Freenode and have a chat with them. I've actually lately been boostrapping from the Devuan package repositories rather than Debian as it had been becoming more and more difficult to maintain a systemd-less installation. So much for their "Universal Operating System" claim.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I've build a devuan image with the arm-sdk and managed to boot it via u-boot. But at the point "Free unused kernel memory" it hangs and suddenly the power turns off.

Did anyone managed to boot devuan on a N900? Any ideas?

(I get the same behavior with the image from https://files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_beta/embedded/)

I've still not tried Devuan from their official arm-sdk, nor have I tried the image that they provide. I'd suggest contacting them on IRC or via the mailing list for support as this thread for a different project.

I am running Devuan on my N900 but I used my scripts to install it. It runs fine and I don't get any hangs. If you want to try it using my scripts, simply set the MIRROR variable to http://packages.devuan.org/merged/ instead of the Debian repository.

Last edited by wicket; 2017-02-11 at 15:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I tried that way for debain and devuan. I also tried 3 different SD cards, but u-boot always shows
"** File not found /boot/uInitrd-4.7.0-rc4+ **"

I executed configure_u-boot.sh via ssh on the n900, so no copy/paste mistake was made. The SD card was formatted with 1 ext4 partition.

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7