Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
tso's Avatar
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,251 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
#11
hmm, that "dock" for heavy lifting sounds familar. ah, i know, i have been toying with similar ideas on and of for maybe a couple of years now.

reason is that i find the current system of "sync" to be a problem largely created by software using proprietary file formats to store their data. making it difficult to impossible to just store the data on a single media and bring that with one when going from place to place...
 
qole's Avatar
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,799 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
#12
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Naw, throw away that form factor and get something like the Readius polymervision 3GSM .
That's a cool trick, in a first-generation, "watch the low resolution black and white screen slowly update" sort of way. I look forward to seeing that kind of foldable / rollable screen in actual devices, with more speed and maybe even colour. Also, touchscreen.

Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
- Atom processor is not a must, but it needs to be sufficient to AT least be able to encode video when docked.
What?! You do understand that encoding video is one of the most processor intensive applications, right?

I really don't understand where you're going with this. Why not have a powerful desktop computer do all that heavy-lifting? What's the benefit of being able to do this stuff when docked, other than being able to keep your files on-device?

I would rather have a huge pipe to my device, a truly high-bitrate solution. USB 2.0 would be nice, or 802.11n, or something (HDSPA on the road). And of course, there should be no other architectural bottlenecks to slow down the transfer speeds. Because then I can just use sshfs to connect securely and quickly to my big network storage drives from anywhere, and ssh+vnc to remotely control my fast-processor desk computer. The hand-held device should be fast enough to play the (high resolution, high bitrate) video, but encoding it should be done off-tablet.

Anyway. Here's my "ooh I wish I could have this" moment: I would love a high-resolution micro-projector in / for my tablet. That would be an acceptable alternative to video-out.

But nah, I still want video out.
__________________
qole.org --- twitter --- Easy Debian wiki page
Please don't send me a private message, post to the appropriate thread.
Thank you all for your donations!
 
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 835 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
#13
Okay so is this one of those "We all had the same Eureka idea within a week of each other" sort of situations, or?...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23704

The concept isn't EXACTLY the same, but if you follow your discussions about a "docking station with it's own processing power/etc" you're ending up in the exact same boat as what I was talking about... a companion device that's not quite a docking station, not quite a standalone machine, but sort of halfway inbetween. Lots of discussions have been going on around the idea (Tex even started talking about another possible evolution into a portable gaming server:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23727), with everything from docking type of setup to something like hardware to support that old NoBounds concept. Anyways, lots of feasability and implementation discussions happening all over the boards, just find it interesting that they all seem to have crept up at the same sort of time.
 
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2007
#14
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Okay so is this one of those "We all had the same Eureka idea within a week of each other" sort of situations, or?...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23704

The concept isn't EXACTLY the same, but if you follow your discussions about a "docking station with it's own processing power/etc" you're ending up in the exact same boat as what I was talking about... a companion device that's not quite a docking station, not quite a standalone machine, but sort of halfway inbetween. Lots of discussions have been going on around the idea (Tex even started talking about another possible evolution into a portable gaming server:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23727), with everything from docking type of setup to something like hardware to support that old NoBounds concept. Anyways, lots of feasability and implementation discussions happening all over the boards, just find it interesting that they all seem to have crept up at the same sort of time.
Too funny. I like that we both had the idea of the dock being sort of "in reverse".

I am pretty sure that these conversations are not only the result of all the n900 talk, but also due to so many of us realizing the limits of the current hardware vs. the potential of the form factor. We are all seeing that there are things we'd like to do but are just "that far" away from them beign possible.

What?! You do understand that encoding video is one of the most processor intensive applications, right?

I really don't understand where you're going with this. Why not have a powerful desktop computer do all that heavy-lifting? What's the benefit of being able to do this stuff when docked, other than being able to keep your files on-device?
This was the reason for adding a second CPU in the base/dock originally. The benefit is that you are really always using the SAME device. When you are on the road you are only taking what you NEED with you. You are eliminating redundancy.

For example, I have a backed up copy of one of my favorite DVD's (yes, I own the original) on my iPod, on my PC hard drive, on an SD Card, and on my HTC Touch. And this is not the only file I have multiples of.

How many devices can you use at once? There are countless photos of people's tablets sitting on their desks right in front of their PC's. Why is the tablet even on at that point? What are you using it for that your Powerhouse PC cannot handle? So why not snap it in so it can charge and sync all of your data?
__________________
Ninja Training Video
 
qole's Avatar
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,799 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
#15
Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
How many devices can you use at once? There are countless photos of people's tablets sitting on their desks right in front of their PC's. Why is the tablet even on at that point? What are you using it for that your Powerhouse PC cannot handle? So why not snap it in so it can charge and sync all of your data?
Yeah I often don't know exactly where my tablet is when I'm transferring stuff to/from it. Usually it's in the kitchen, recharging, and I'm using WinSCP or something on my upstairs computer to copy files to the device. My biggest complaint is just how slow the file copy is.
__________________
qole.org --- twitter --- Easy Debian wiki page
Please don't send me a private message, post to the appropriate thread.
Thank you all for your donations!
 
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2007
#16
 
allnameswereout's Avatar
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
#17
You can run your rendering client on the NIT, and do the rendering on nodes, like distcc does for C compiler.

A nettop or Atom based computer is surely something to look into or keep in mind for the future (as announced soon multicore), but there are many non-x86 CPUs for embedded goals such as ARM, POWER, MIPS. AMD (Geode) and VIA are also part of the embedded market, and NVidia Tegro might be something to look into.
__________________
Goosfraba! All text written by allnameswereout is public domain unless stated otherwise. Thank you for sharing your output!
 
tso's Avatar
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,251 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
#18
the current dual-core atom's dont really care about being energy efficient. iirc, its supposed to have a TDP of 8 watts...

thats some 3-4 times higher then the ones used in netbooks right now...
 
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,180 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
#19
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
You can run your rendering client on the NIT, and do the rendering on nodes, like distcc does for C compiler.
You can, but it's not as easy as distributed compilation.
__________________
maemo.org profile
 
GeneralAntilles's Avatar
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,215 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
#20
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
. . . and NVidia Tegro might be something to look into.
Not if you want Linux support.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:07.