Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2013
#11
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Digged around a little bit and found the config to tweak the OOMKiller behavior.
At least for my workflow it now allows opening up more apps than before before OOMKiller kicks in and kills some.

Made a thread on together jolla open for discussion: https://together.jolla.com/question/...t_ratio-value/
This won't help you because /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory is
set to 1. And kernel docs say that value of /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio is ignored if /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory is != 2.

But you can increase swappiness.
"echo 99 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness"

Last edited by korppi; 2014-12-25 at 17:30.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to korppi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
#12
Very sad to hear this .The last modern OS to have true multitasking is also now going the android way.True multitasking was one of the few differentiars for jolla. Many people avoid android and ios only for this particular reason - unreliable app behaviour .People like me care more for real multitasking even more than openness.Why cant it simple give out a warning instead of killing apps..
__________________
E71 > E72 > N900 > E7> N9 > N900 >BB Z10 >Aquafish
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Dec 2014
#13
Have you used the zramcfg in previous versions? I found it still affects Vaarainjärvi if its installed(checked with swapon -s) and after removing it I've had 0 task killing problems even with a lot of applications open. Just a thought.
 
Posts: 748 | Thanked: 2,776 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
#14
Originally Posted by padmaraj.ravi View Post
Why cant it simple give out a warning instead of killing apps..
Exactly my thought. If they feel like it is the system's responsibility to provide smooth app experience (which I am not sure about - I think it is my responsibility to run as many apps as I consider comfortable), then they should warn before launching another app, not kill the other ones.

That is exactly how webOS did it - it warned about 'Too many cards open, close some of them to launch this app' when running low on RAM.
__________________
I don't understand why would anyone use a random, insecure, proprietary chatting solution as WhatsApp, when you have so many safe and open alternatives.
Please, don't use it. If this doesn't convince you, read more here.
The worst thing is even if you don't use it, it takes one ***** who does and has your number in his/her contacts and your number is uploaded to servers of this insane company for 'anyone interested' to read.
Thumbs up for everyone supporting WhatsApp on Maemo. NOT
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2013
#15
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Exactly my thought. If they feel like it is the system's responsibility to provide smooth app experience (which I am not sure about - I think it is my responsibility to run as many apps as I consider comfortable), then they should warn before launching another app, not kill the other ones.

That is exactly how webOS did it - it warned about 'Too many cards open, close some of them to launch this app' when running low on RAM.
Well it's not oom-killer what kills the apps. That is why the swappiness thing works, just try it...

Kernel is just not aggressive enough in swapping.

Last edited by korppi; 2014-12-25 at 18:30.
 
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Dec 2013
#16
Originally Posted by korppi View Post
This won't help you because /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory is
set to 1. And kernel docs say that value of /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio is ignored if /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory is != 2.

But you can increase swappiness.
"echo 99 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness"
Either the kernel docs are wrong here or I am just a little drunk from christmas yet but I can see the difference when changing the overcommit_ratio. (Where did you find that it only works for overcommit_memory 2 ?)
Also it makes no sense that it is set then by default if it isn't even used. So I suspect it is used. (also I can start a lot more apps with it set to 90 so it must have an effect)
__________________
Donation for my sailfish apps via PayPal
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2013
#17
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Either the kernel docs are wrong here or I am just a little drunk from christmas yet but I can see the difference when changing the overcommit_ratio. (Where did you find that it only works for overcommit_memory 2 ?)
Also it makes no sense that it is set then by default if it isn't even used. So I suspect it is used. (also I can start a lot more apps with it set to 90 so it must have an effect)
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...stems/proc.txt
CommitLimit: ...

After testing your solution again it seems it is doing something to help anyway. Both of are solutions together are even more helpfull to situation.

You should put over 100 though.
I did "echo 120 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio" .
and
"echo 99 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness"

Last edited by korppi; 2014-12-25 at 20:18.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to korppi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Sep 2010
#18
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
Code:
cd /media/sdcard/*/swapfile
dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1M count=1024
mkswap swapfile
swapon swapfile
With this additional swap i don't have any issues since 24 hours. I will probably add a line to fstab.
Damn, if one is using btrfs on sdcard already, btrfs-swapon would be required.
 
ste-phan's Avatar
Posts: 1,084 | Thanked: 2,287 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
#19
Even the calculator is being closed automatically, very handy when one wants to incorporate some figures in an emaill.

Drawer, meet Jolla.
__________________
Primary phone: Nokia 808 "the last one - Secondary Phone: Nokia N900 Thumb test on stock 600Mhz - Backup and hobby : Jolla the first one running the final 1.0 (1.1.7.28) Sailfish OS - Neo900 - stuck on 100 Euro sympathy contrib - Sailfish 2.0 tablet status: 2nd part refund Soon™.
 
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
#20
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

Drawer, meet Jolla.
I was seriously contemplating Jolla and BB10 .Here in india Jolla and BB Z10 are in the same price band of about 16K. Now i am left with BB10 as my only choice .Though BB10 limits apps to 8 ,it never closes them as per my knowledge.
__________________
E71 > E72 > N900 > E7> N9 > N900 >BB Z10 >Aquafish
 

The Following User Says Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:38.