I was pretty surprised by the thickness and weight of the N900 when I saw the first pics. Yes, sometimes it might be better to be a bit thicker for grip, but with some kind of invisible shield and/or case, it will be pretty chunky to tote around. I wonder what contributed to the additional thickness...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I recently bought a mugen battery, which made my N810 a lot thicker, and to my surprise it didn't bother me a bit.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
With everyone having different body size and shape.. and different expectations.. and different tolerance, it is kind of pointless, no?

Anyone want to comment if my pair of shoes are too big or small? They're size 11.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
for me, that's depend on price. if it's enough cheap, the size is not big problem.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Anyone want to comment if my pair of shoes are too big or small? They're size 11.
You know what they say about men with big shoes.

...big feet.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
You know what they say about men with big shoes.

...big feet.

It's 9.5 inches.

That's my prediction of Apple Tablet's screen size :P

I'm gonna go against the general opinion in this thread and say I wish it was at least three mm thinner. The N900 is a couple of mm thicker than my current phone, and I think my current phone is a tad on the chubby side.

Somewhat like the owner.

But any way I calculate it, the thickness of the N900 is thinner than the thickness of that phone plus the N810. So it's still a step in the right direction.

Also, the lower weight is welcome with me, since I sometimes get tired in the hands when I use it for hours. Not sure that it really will make any difference, but I welcome it anyway.

Last edited by volt; 2009-08-30 at 15:41.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Like bikes and steaks, thickness is relative to the benefits it brings. The N900 fits in my pockets and for me it feels more or less in the same league as the very popular phones I have been using since I joined Nokia (5200, N95, N81, N82, E71). Also as a user of the three Internet Tablets I'm just amazed about the size reduction increasing the features and keeping the same type of user experience.

I'm not an engineer and I don't even know exactly what are the layers that bring that thickness but with a high density display, hardware keyboard, stereo speakers, 5Mp camera and a build quality that passes the Nokia drop tests I actually feel our hardware designers and engineers did a great job (again).

PS: also think about all the people that usually don't carry the phone in their pockets e.g. most women and there is plenty of them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I can't possibly imagine my woman wanting a phone this big. Purse or no purse.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
While I do think the N900 is both too big and too heavy for me to carry it around every day, I must admit that my current phone (6110 Navigator) is even thicker: 20mm as compared to the N900s 18-19mm. (It's still smaller, though, and not as heavy).

So 20mm might not be all that bad.