Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I've tried 4 or 5 different launchers I think and some of them are ok but they're obviously coming from an Android mindset or possibly trying to emulate iOS. As such they're just 'wrong'. Both Android and iOS have years and years of built up UI cruft which is ironic given the Symbian UI they were displacing back when they launched.

A Swipe UI on Android without rooting the device is much preferred as my main handset has a couple of apps I rely on that will not run on a rooted device - banks are picky like that.

And then you've got the Android apps to replace as it's jarring to go from a swipey launcher to an app that relies on button bars, burger menus and floating action buttons though perhaps the latter isn't a bad idea for a swipe based UI.

It's a pity we've not got Silica components on top of Android for some rapid ports of apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
The problem with this on an Android phone is that many Android apps use a swipe from the side (rather than swipe from the middle) for an app function.

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
The problem with this on an Android phone is that many Android apps use a swipe from the side (rather than swipe from the middle) for an app function.
I think no. There isn't hamburger menu on right side. Left side often contains hamburger menu, bottom has navigation bar and top has status bar.
Preffered swipe mode for portait mode: from right to left

On landscape mode you have status bar on top, hamburger menu on left and navigation bar on right side.
Preffered swipe mode for landscape mode: from bottom to top

Of course some phones doesn't have navigation bar, so they will be able to handle 1 more swipe edge for portain and landscape orientation

PS. I am now a little bit busy (last days of school, last exams, IT exams), but I think that alpha/beta should be next week. I am thinking about placing beta at Google Play.

The Following User Says Thank You to kubaork For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
no

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
A Swipe UI on Android without rooting the device is much preferred as my main handset has a couple of apps I rely on that will not run on a rooted device - banks are picky like that.
If that's your main concern; apps that refuse to run on a rooted device...
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that you can fool those by renaming your "/bin/su" to something else (and maybe some other related binaries need to be renamed too)

Hi guys. You can try now a very very alpha version of "Swipe UI". Now it's just a test. You must give Overlay, Usage Stats and Record permission. Then the blue "Swipe Bar" will appear. You can drag it and swipe out. While swiping, check background color: default it is black, but if your finger is at half of screen, background will turn red: that means that on touch up, app will minimize.
There is no animation, since it's only alpha test.

Alpha test link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing...frogen.swipeui

PS. Please post any issues, and report crashes!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kubaork For This Useful Post:
This would make me consider using android

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post: