Here are step by step instructions, all steps are performed on the N900.

1. If not already installed, install rootsh. This link has an install button if opened in the N900 browser http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/

2. Open the web browser and open this page http://www.access-company.com/cgi/gv..._form&w=OS2008

3. Enter your information and select N810 as your tablet. Then click submit form.

4. Check your email and you fill find a link to the download site, open this link.

5. You will be asked to agree to a license agreement then provided a download link for the file garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb. Download this file to your N900 remembering where you put it. Placing it in the N900 folder is an easy place to remember.

6. Open the X-Terminal application.

7. Type sudo gainroot [Enter] in X-Terminal

8. Type cd MyDocs [Enter] in X-terminal (substitute any other folder you saved garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb to for MyDocs).

9. Type dpkg -i garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb [Enter] in X-Terminal.

10. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This exits the root shell)

11. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This closes X-Terminal)

12. You now have an icon for Garnet VM in the second page of application icons.

Last edited by Bruce; 2009-12-09 at 23:07.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bruce For This Useful Post:
Thanks. Worked great!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Here are step by step instructions, all steps are performed on the N900.

1. If not already installed, install rootsh. This link has an install button if opened in the N900 browser http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/

2. Open the web browser and open this page http://www.access-company.com/cgi/gv..._form&w=OS2008

3. Enter your information and select N810 as your tablet. Then click submit form.

4. Check your email and you fill find a link to the download site, open this link.

5. You will be asked to agree to a license agreement then provided a download link for the file garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb. Download this file to your N900 remembering where you put it. Placing it in the N900 folder is an easy place to remember.

6. Open the X-Terminal application.

7. Type sudo gainroot [Enter] in X-Terminal

8. Type cd MyDocs [Enter] in X-terminal (substitute any other folder you saved garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb to for MyDocs).

9. Type dpkg -i garnet-vm_1.0.4b_ITOS2008_armel.deb [Enter] in X-Terminal.

10. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This exits the root shell)

11. Type exit [Enter] in X-Terminal. (This closes X-Terminal)

12. You now have an icon for Garnet VM in the second page of application icons.

Does Garnet VM offer the possibility to sync e.g. Palm Calendar via HotSync with the PalmDesktop ?

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by lichtjuergen View Post
Does Garnet VM offer the possibility to sync e.g. Palm Calendar via HotSync with the PalmDesktop ?
I haven't in forever but yes.

Hi. Is it possible install g.maps. couse on my N900 doesnt work at all. Press on k.maps or g.maps in Garnet and Message show up " Missing IBM J VM"
Any sugestions ?

Google maps for PalmOS doesn't need IBM Java VM. Not the versions I've installed, anyway. Last one I downloaded was just a couple of months ago. Make sure you're not getting the wrong version.

Any chance we could get Garmin Mobile XT to run?

Garnet installs in red pill mode and preinstalled apps work. Any other apps I have tried crash. Mobipocket installs, and opens, but trying to open any ebook will crash the application.
Bejeweled 2 demo also crashes. Doesn't even start.
It seems that the Garnet emulator have some serious problems with Maemo 5.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Silicon Valley - USA now, UK originally
In case it helps - I haven't had a chance to try many apps, but so far...

Sync didn't work with a laptop on a wireless connection. When I tried to ping the laptop via X Terminal there was no response while it was wireless. No problem at all when wired.

When I sync'd, Bonsai 4.03 worked well straight away.
So did FileZ 6.8.3, Caltrain+ and NFP 2.5

However Dioplayer and Note Pad close immediately on trying to launch. I didn't persist with Dioplayer as the Maemo one plays all the formats I wanted. No joy with Note Pad yet.

BloodPressMgr runs but my data didn't make it. Should be an easy fix, but haven't tried yet.

Diet and Exercise Assistant 7 didn't come across nor a bunch of other apps, so need to install those and see how they go.

Good luck with your apps!

The Following User Says Thank You to jow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
FWIW, this is my favourite way of "quitting" the vm. An application called "Quit" that does exactly what it says on the tin

Note that this app is basically crashing the emulator (well, SysFatalAlert), so I don't know if it may lose data. I've been using it for a few hours while installing all my apps back and seems to work fine.

Quit.prc

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-12-24 at 00:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: