Active Topics

Notices

No I am not just "copying" it.I only used the information regarding port range and studied up entire conky documentation to display information.
Like you, I too am puzzled why the entire range was not being covered but I found many instances of this and not only on this forum (I can show you if you like).
Everywhere I came across these ranges being used in conky to show inbound and outbound connections.Being just a student and no expert myself, I naturally believed there is a valid reason for this.
Would appreciate if you can shed some light on this and explain why the majority use this method as it totally baffles me

Edit: I guess a sure shot way of knowing whether a connection is inbound or outbound is to find the source ip.However I failed to find any built-in parameters for this and netstat also didn't help.Do you know if anything like this was included in the newer build of conky?

Edit 2: Saw your update.Thanks for the heads-up.I agree the range could be different on maemo, just wish there was some proper documentation.Probably the safest way is to merge them.Will see if I can find anything else.

Last edited by techie; 2010-10-23 at 07:36. Reason: Spelling

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
well i mean copying that bit of the .conf file, i'm sure pretty much everyone here started with a copy of a working .conf
i saw that on the ubuntu forum too, i figured they're stupid but it might actually be the right setting for them.
I think once the connection is established, there is nothing that can tell us whether it is an incoming or outgoing connection, or apps like tcptrack would be able to do it too.
we could modify conky to figure out the direction of any new connections, but i'm not sure about the performance of doing so.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
well i mean copying that bit of the .conf file, i'm sure pretty much everyone here started with a copy of a working .conf
i saw that on the ubuntu forum too, i figured they're stupid but it might actually be the right setting for them.
I think once the connection is established, there is nothing that can tell us whether it is an incoming or outgoing connection, or apps like tcptrack would be able to do it too.
we could modify conky to figure out the direction of any new connections, but i'm not sure about the performance of doing so.
Thanks.I didn't even know what conky was till I got my N900.Since then, everything linux related has been my first experience so I am a bit dependent on the knowledge of others and naturally trust them to know what they are talking about.
Seems it would be better to avoid ambiguity in my file and list them together as one.
However it would be useful if something like this could be built into a new build of conky.Maybe you could look at the new version you are working on for a possible hope?

yeah i can look at it but honestly i don't think i'm skilled enough to implement something like that anytime soon. i'm still learning how to program in c, and conky isn't exactly simple. if there is some fast library we can add to conky to do the network stats i might be able to replace the existing on with it.
tcptrack uses a constant 25% of the cpu, for example, so i'm not so sure if it's even possible to determine useful statistics on each connection without killing the battery

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Does anyone use Conky as their LiveWallpaper?

The custom conky.conf are great but does not look good when used as a live wallpaper as you get a big unused gap down the bottom. Original conky.conf is the only one which looks good.

Originally Posted by Wild_Doogy View Post
Here is my conky script:

I would like this one with the use of the top right corner like the original conky.conf. Is this possible?

btw, this Wild_Doogy code doesn't work at all for me. It crashes my Conky. Anyone know why?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I figured it out, after what is now a couple days of digging through criptic DBus documentation and wiki.maemo.org (and a bunch of random plug-n-play trial-and-error on the command line):

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.get_device_orientation

In retrospect, the python snippet that I initially found on the wiki and noobmonkey posted to me in the Healthcheck thread contains most of that in it. But there's no way I would have gotten it without seeing a bunch of other dbus-send code snippets and reading through dbus documentation.

Now it's time to figure out how to grep that, and then put the landscape/portrait part into an if-then statement, and create two alternate layouts, which would then be placed inside the if-then-else statement.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-10-25 at 06:53. Reason: Forgot "dest=" in the dbus code - stupid of me.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
How do I get the temperature reading on every reboot?
Something with modprobe battery bq27x00

How was the correct input?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=37

It was in this very thread, and only on page 4 no less. This is how you make the module load on every boot. If you just run "modprobe bq27x00_battery" it'll go away when you reboot, and you'll have to do it again. Alternatively, if you find you don't like it, you can edit the file at the path in the command shown in the post, and remove bq27x00_battery, or just "rmmod bq27x00_battery" if you want to shut it down temporarily (until next reboot).

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Slovakia, Žilina
how to background ? thanks

1) conky.sh launches conky with the option "-d" to "daemonize, fork to background". I guess this overrides "background no" from the conky.conf.
2) to set a default background color, you can add the config settings "own_window_transparent no" and "own_window_colour FF0000" (if you wanted red)

-edit-
found another cool setting
"own_window_hints undecorated"
need to adjust the .conf a bit, but that's pretty good. (it gets rid of a good chunk of the status bar from the top)
you can exit if you hit the other button and click the x on the thumbnail.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-11-01 at 23:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:

Tags
conky, fix it yourself, post your conky