Notices

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Yes please!

I believe joshn53 who's a new poster was also thinking of doing something with the sword library: he posted here so maybe you could get together.

What I need from a Bible reader is something that will enable me to travel swiftly to a certain verse or search for a word or phrase that someone quotes at me. I need it to be available offline for use in hospital or when out of signal range. Ideally I need to have access to a good modern translation and either a KJV or RSV.

As for why, it's a tool of my job. I would also be interested in an English translation of the Koran for the same reason (sadly, I can't read Arabic). Or the Baghavad Gita... But the Bible is the one I am most comonly asked for by a long way (which says more about where I live than anything else, I suspect).

For those who think hi-tech should have no place for a religious text, can I suggest you might appreciate it as a stunning collection of poetry, sagas, myths and some history, as one of the foundation documents of western society and as a great deal of ordinary wisdom for ordinary living - without needing to see it as a religious thing at all. It's a good read whether or not you believe in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
For those who think hi-tech should have no place for a religious text...
Sadly, there are bigots to be found in all spheres of life.

No promises, but I'll have a looksee for you...

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
I'll just say I would love to see a bible app on the n900, or Maemo5 in general.

I'm a developer but I've never dabbled in linux let alone Maemo, so unfortunately I won't be of any help.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Only one small issue with this thread, it had already been started in another thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31114

Mods: can these be merged since they are essentially the same topic?

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-10-08 at 16:43.

This is one area where the iPhone and iPod touch really triumphs!. The appStore has a lot of free bible apps and the paid for ones are quite cheap and worth every penny.

Given that gecko engine is embeddable, scripture text could easily be stored in html and accessed via a neat interface. The html files could be served over a local web server (apache ??), the web server will also incoporate indexing and search functionality.

I would really love to do this but I dont know Gtk+ and dont feel motivated to learn it given that it will be replaced by Qt post Maemo 5. I'll probably download an entire bible website and read offline via the Maemo web browser for now.

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
Since Rapier's source is available, i think your best bet would be to ask nicely if someone else than the original author would adjust it for Fremantle. Shouldn't be too much work.

On a side note, i am really surprised how popular things like bible and quran apps are on high-tech devices... humanity still has a long, long way to go...
Please show some respect .

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to franklinn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
Since Rapier's source is available, i think your best bet would be to ask nicely if someone else than the original author would adjust it for Fremantle. Shouldn't be too much work.
Peep the link in my post of this; the author remarked about the effort that it would take.

Merging these threads is a gooder idea...

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
That Bible thread is for sinners, this one is for saints

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
*checks a fellow members' past posts..*

@Hogwash: are you practicing all these one ilners for a comedy show or something
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I'm just in a buoyant mood today....

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword