Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I want them to last longer, not charge faster... But it just me. Anyhow Great innovation if true.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I have grown immune to these advancements and studies made about new and different battery technologies.
There seem to be promising news about one or another every month for past 3-4 years.

You would expect some big steps done in that side, thinking in who's interest it's improve batteries just now and how much R&D money they are ready to put there.
You have to understand the difference between R&D demonstration device for a technology and actual production version.
The products based on the innovations and groundwork done today will be commercially available in 10..15 years.

This is just like SW development (if you are more familiar with that) except that in materials development the cycle is far longer. Simplified (a lot) it goesthrough the following phases;
1.) idea -> 2.) basic R&D -> 3.) prototyping -> 4.) manufacturability R&D -> 5.) acceptance testing -> 6.) commecial launch

You do a fair amount of cycling thru 2/3/4/5 phases, sometimes going back to 1 before ever reaching 6.

Remember, the current LiPo technology was first demonstarted in the eighties.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I have grown immune to these advancements and studies made about new and different battery technologies.

... thinking in who's interest it's improve batteries just now and how much R&D money they are ready to put there.
Technically, a capacitor and a battery isnt the same thing.
Supercapacitors has been used for long as a replacement for small batterycells in memorybackup.
But when a tiny nonrechargeable lithiumcell has been able to hold the memory for 10years, then a supercap of today only holds the memory for about a month without a recharge.

So a capacitor with a capacity similar to a battery , would be a huge step forward in *replacing* batteries.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I want them to last longer, not charge faster...
If they can be charged in 20 secs as claimed then capacity won't be too much of an issue.

There seem to be promising news about one or another every month for past 3-4 years.
+1

Happens everywhere. I love science, but I hate it's never never progress. Didn't Nokia promise us a phone that recharged from ambient energy radiating from TVs, Microwave Ovens, Radios....even car engines?
Same with medical science. Newspaper headline reads "A CURE FOR xxxxxxxxx DISEASE - BUT IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS!".........10 years later "A CURE FOR xxxxxxxxx DISEASE - BUT IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS!"

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Happens everywhere. I love science, but I hate it's never never progress. Didn't Nokia promise us a phone that recharged from ambient energy radiating from TVs, Microwave Ovens, Radios....even car engines?
Same with medical science. Newspaper headline reads "A CURE FOR xxxxxxxxx DISEASE - BUT IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS!".........10 years later "A CURE FOR xxxxxxxxx DISEASE - BUT IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS!"
You just have no clue, I am afraid

That's the layman's view of the progress of science and technology, which is science applied to RealLife (TM)