Posts: 22 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Leeds, England
Hi all, I've had a search but can't find anything similar, I can't log into my new Gtalk account through the built in im client. It just gives me the message, 'incorrect username or password'.

I can log in using exactly the same details on my pc.

This is really frustrating!

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ canada
I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but I had problems logging in today too. After I rebooted the N900 (darn Windows solution) I was able to log in.

Hmmm strange, despite having rebooted earlier today when I was trying to get it to work with no effect I gave it another go and got a stage further. It let me add the account (if I go into the accounts list it shows up) but it won't sign in, still giving me the same message.

Tried another reboot but got no further.

You know I do sometimes envy Iphones and the way they just work

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
This always Just Works. Google is fine and the rest of us are fine.

My suggestion is - if you have a bad user/pass error, recheck the user/pass. A network error I'd understand, but bad user/pass is an actual response.

Make sure you check the case, N900 capitalizes passwords in fields.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Thought that was it then but no, double, triple and quadruple checked the user name and password. Works fine on my pc, also works fine on google reader on my phone.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
When you reboot, pull the battery out. JIC. (not while rebooting, power down, remove, count to 10, replace, power up)

Also, do a backup and look around the forum. There is a file that stores passwords in plain text - look it up and see what is really being sent.

Also, this might sound silly, do you have a talk account? I think there's some enabling to do. Does chat-only work?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Battery pull hasn't helped. I'll investigate the account tomorrow as I'm not certain, although the chat client seemed to work on my PC.

I am actually just trying to use the chat functionality as opposed to VOIP.

Couldn't find the password file but I'll try again tomorrow, it's getting late here!

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
I had a problem today that gtalk showed a network error. I deleted the account a couple times and rebooted and now it seems to work fine...

I've been doing a bit of research and it seems that GTalk doesn't work with a Google account which doesn't use a GMail address. I guess that's my problem as I've been using a Yahoo email address.

It'd be nice if Google documented that anywhere but nevermind.

The Following User Says Thank You to number2301 For This Useful Post:
try deleting the account and then readding it, sometimes the login details get blanked with extras so give it a whirl. let us know.