Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Told them back in the days. It’s all about services. Stuff that help users. If not, just refund and ship sailfish to russia.

A new update imminent or what?
Fingers crossed they will release the update tomorrow!

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Stuff that help users.
Sailfish has already helped me tremendously. By not having Whatsit (or whatever it is called). I could tell my boss with clear conscience to get stuffed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sailfish has already helped me tremendously. By not having Whatsit (or whatever it is called). I could tell my boss with clear conscience to get stuffed
Sure. Always one or three can come up with a random use case. But cars are no longer cars. It’s services. Still people say they are buying a car for driving when day actually will buy it for the services.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Sure. Always one or three can come up with a random use case. But cars are no longer cars. It’s services. Still people say they are buying a car for driving when day actually will buy it for the services.
A very good example.
My new(er) BMW is actually asking me every week for service!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
A very good example.
Brilliant!
Expected if you are going for that brand

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Funny you should say that. So does my (oldish) VW. It's been saying "service now" for nearly two weeks. I've been gleefully ignoring it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sure. Always one or three can come up with a random use case.
Not so fast, davey. I have used exactly the same excuse for not joining to a huitsapp group I was pressurized into.

Another good one I have used is, "it's a company phone and I am not allowed to install spyware on it, sorry, it's a company policy"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Another good one I have used is, "it's a company phone and I am not allowed to install spyware on it, sorry, it's a company policy"
And that is the most important argument after May, 25th (the new European DSGVO).
That not only disallows but forbids to share other people's data (phonebook entries) without their consent! This is valid for company phones with data of other business people (I guess not for private use).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
GDPR is not a valid use case In this particular discussion since policies or rules should handle that. Not the services it self.

Side note:
Still unknown how this will work out in reality. Increased awareness of privacy, yes and implemented solutions, yes. But we have too many corner cases in the world yet

Just take tmo as an example. Do I have the right to be forgotten. Possibly. Might be easy to remove an account. But what about all post where the user was quoted?

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-05-30 at 21:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Just take tmo as an example. Do I have the right to be forgotten. Possibly. Might be easy to remove an account. But what about all post where the user was quoted?
Yes, as a matter of fact we are GDPR compliant. The announcement is still draft and not published but as we reviewed our policies there was nothing that we'd need to change

And the law itself does not mandate for us to advertice compliance, just be complient. This is a mistake so many companies are making, spamming their users with messages about GDPR...

As for the point you raised; the account removal does not cause removal of quoted or referred postings but that is also OK by GDPR; The article 17 "right of erasure" has restriction clause in article 23 (i) which states that it can be mitigated if it is necessary for "the protection of the data subject or the rights and freedoms of others"

Hence protecting the freedom of speech of other users has priority here.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x