Active Topics

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
I am trying to use XOHM today and when I logged in, not only did it not remember my N810, but it couldn't find it on the network! How odd is that, I am on XOHM's website with their service, and they can't "detect my device on the network". Ridiculous and lame.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Any updates?

It eventually worked. I signed up for the monthly thing, and tried to load pages, and it would continually ask for activation again and again say that it couldn't find my device. So I powered it off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. I manually connected it to XOHM and it did the all-important "Updating WiMax settings" and then it worked! I guess it needs to do the updating settings, but I'm not sure how to force it to do so without disconnecting and reconnecting.

Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
It eventually worked. I signed up for the monthly thing, and tried to load pages, and it would continually ask for activation again and again say that it couldn't find my device. So I powered it off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. I manually connected it to XOHM and it did the all-important "Updating WiMax settings" and then it worked! I guess it needs to do the updating settings, but I'm not sure how to force it to do so without disconnecting and reconnecting.
Which market are you using the device? I am wondering if some of the network optimizations they are doing in the non-launched markets are affecting you...

Originally Posted by HanSooloo View Post
Which market are you using the device? I am wondering if some of the network optimizations they are doing in the non-launched markets are affecting you...
It is in a launched area, in that the area is indicated as a covered area on the coverage map. But, not "officially" launched, as in XOHM hasn't said "Hey we're in NoVA!".

If you keep running into connection issues, there is a section of the XOHM support site dedicated to troubleshooting with the Connection Manager.
http://xohm.com/en_US/support/connection-management

And if that doesn't have the specific answer you need, the phone support is a good backup # to have on hand. Plus, they are open late. 1-877-333-XOHM Mon - Sun: 7am to 1am ET.

How has the connection been through the rest of today?

Originally Posted by XOHMGuy View Post
If you keep running into connection issues, there is a section of the XOHM support site dedicated to troubleshooting with the Connection Manager.
http://xohm.com/en_US/support/connection-management

And if that doesn't have the specific answer you need, the phone support is a good backup # to have on hand. Plus, they are open late. 1-877-333-XOHM Mon - Sun: 7am to 1am ET.

How has the connection been through the rest of today?
I did what that site recommended, but I thought it was weird that the activation page didn't know about my device, even though I was on the network with the device. I can imagine some not-so-tech-savy person going nuts trying to figure out what a MAC address is and how to locate it. It thought be straight forward- "Hey there user, I see you have a blahblahblah device".

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I expect bugs in a new service. Hopefully they'll be ironed out over time.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
It is in a launched area, in that the area is indicated as a covered area on the coverage map. But, not "officially" launched, as in XOHM hasn't said "Hey we're in NoVA!".
NoVA is not an offically launched area and it will say something to the degree of "XOHM hasn't launched here, but we're currently working on building out the network in your area."

These areas are still doing network tests even though you can use the WiMAX service there. So please understand that there will be some problems, and XOHM never forgot about you! You forgot that they are still working on that area :P .

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Bethesda, MD
It is going to be interesting to see what hppens to us XOHM early adopters. Check out this interesting article on RCR. I really hope we can keep our original XOHM plans. A trip to Clearwire shows a myriad of less than inviting plans being offered. Personally I would like to have the new CDMA/ WiMAX Modems that are allegedly going to be released at the end of December, we shall see.
This short article on Phonescoop gives you an idea what I am talking about:
Sprint to Offer '4G' CDMA/WiMax Modems, Phones
Sprint announced that it will be offering dual-mode CDMA/WiMax wireless modems before the end of 2008. The modems will allow users to connect to the Internet via either Sprint's CDMA network or Clearwire's Clear WiMax network under a new MVNO agreement with Clearwire. Sprint will act as a mobile virtual network operator to sell services powered by Clearwire's WiMax network. Sprint also said that it will be offering dual-mode CDMA/WiMax handsets that can switch between the two different types of wireless technology. Sprint did not say when the dual-mode handsets would be available.

SOURCE: PhoneScoop http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=3687

And on the "lighter side:" Engadget has me feeling much better letting me know that my XOHM Modem may have value later as a Relic on Ebay. Wow, now that 's a relief! More from Engadget CLICK HERE

BB 8330 w/ SPRINT

NOKIA 770 w/ OS 2006
1 GB SanDisk RS-MMC

Last edited by Wireless; 2008-12-07 at 15:53.

Tags
n810 wimax, xohm