Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
[...], and I'm less and less eager to get the Purism phone every day now that I've tried the Phosh thing.
+1

Originally Posted by robthebold
[...] I've got the OnePlus One running UBPorts, and it's daily driver capable, I just would rather be on SFOS and leave the Ubuntu phone at home for playing around. I'm open to suggestions . . .
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...hybris#Oneplus
The Oneplus One "Bacon" is well supported, in terms of hardware functions and maintenance (i.e. primarily, upgrades to new SFOS releases: at SFOS 3.4.0 at the moment, which is the current GA release).
But you would not be able to "leave the Ubuntu phone at home for playing around", then.

Last edited by olf; 2021-02-14 at 15:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...l#/updates/all

The SoC has been changed to Snapdragon 662

Phones: Motorola Moto G 2nd gen | Nokia N900
Tablet: Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830
SBC: Raspberry Pi 2

Proud supporter of open source software

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
The mainlined kernel was the best feature, keyboard second and external monitor third, now one's a long way off if it happens at all and one's gone.
Which one is long off and which one is gone?
The external monitor thing was one thing I was really looking forward to.

Do you guys expect the performance hit from the new chipset to be rather noticable in daily use?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Which one is long off and which one is gone?
The external monitor thing was one thing I was really looking forward to.
External Monitor support will happen in some capacity according to F(x) answers to IGG comments and discussions i followed. In question is if the same method like on Proš can be used since usb 3.1 hdmi video out is not officially documented in sd662 specs. Community hope is currently that F(x) knows better and the feature is just undocumented (for marketing reasons?) but still available.

Do you guys expect the performance hit from the new chipset to be rather noticable in daily use?
In daily use you might much more profit from the 20-30% less power consumption of the sd662 imo.
Benchmarks say it can be up to 20-30% slower then 835 but that still means "same" compute power per watt

Some games might give lower fps.
My Phantasy is not vivid enough to come up with what android users do on their device nowadays, maybe video editing to max out the cores?
For sfos kabouik remarked that it might have an impact on performance in containers where the 835 really shines currently. But that is to be seen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
External Monitor support will happen in some capacity according to F(x) answers to IGG comments and discussions i followed.
Yes, will be interesting to see how they make it work - extra expense for an external adaptor doesn't seem likely but I can't believe no-one else discovered the chip was capable if it is. There was no such comment when I posted and that was the feature I thought lost but marketing is one of two legitimate careers where lies are commonplace (the other being politics) so in a way I wouldn't be surprised.

My current phone (Xperia X) has a 650 and it's the fastest phone I've ever owned, the 662 should still be a nice upgrade in all but graphics and I won't miss what I never had.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Yes, will be interesting to see how they make it work - extra expense for an external adaptor doesn't seem likely but I can't believe no-one else discovered the chip was capable if it is. There was no such comment when I posted and that was the feature I thought lost but marketing is one of two legitimate careers where lies are commonplace (the other being politics) so in a way I wouldn't be surprised.
Both 660 and 665 have video out, so I won't be surprised if the page is just not properly updated. Some CPUs don't list video out, but still have it listed in the specs pdf. Let's hope this is similar kind of problem, but with video out omitted from everywhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Both 660 and 665 have video out, so I won't be surprised if the page is just not properly updated. Some CPUs don't list video out, but still have it listed in the specs pdf. Let's hope this is similar kind of problem, but with video out omitted from everywhere.
I look from the way it works in x86 CPUs - broken core(s), unusable block of cache or whatever? Disable that bit and sell as a cheaper model! Both Intel and AMD do this, hopefully it's not how it works at Qualcom...

Last edited by suicidal_orange; 2021-02-26 at 10:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Hi guys-and girls,

Long time no see, lots of work.
I am melting. New work, need to send vids and pix reasonably quick (ment: directly, with no n900 cable, sync, email...)
And also non blocking instant update of contacts - my n900 needs some minutes with 2000+ contacts to let me send an sms after contact update.
And also ability to show vids and pics on my device with reasonable quality.

So....
Was thinking of, finally a Pro1-X.
Do you think it is risky to order on Indiegogo? Better (but more expansive) to order on main site?

Thanks & BR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Imo the options are:

You want to support F(x)tec with sharing the risc for Proš-X? Get one from IGG with possibility of full risc on your side since IGG does no returns after 14 days.
There have been isolated cases where dissatisfied backers (due to SD662) got full return just so they move on and do not spam the IGG comments. But yeah, that comes with severe faceloss

Ordering via homepage is more safe since afaiu FX is obliged to European customer rules and in case of no delivery at all, you might have a better chance to get compensated.
For both options you will be kind of far back in the que now and i would not bet on delivery before september or october.

Getting a used Proš might be the best option in your situation. I see Proš changing owner weekly so it is a matter of following the sell thread in the FX forum or auction sites directly.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Thank you Mosen for this useful clarification.
It kind of calmed my precipitation.
Well, anyway, it will last long until I replace my n900 I guess...
Gonna reread the "What to get to replace my N900" thread, just in case...
BR

Last edited by ric9K; 2021-07-01 at 19:45. Reason: correct thread name

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:

Tags
expectations