Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Michigan, USA
I've got an issue with Wifi and my home network that was also prevalent with PR1.0 and still is with PR1.1.

Here at home I have a WPA-TKIP network that's setup and I've been using successfully with a Macbook, multiple laptops, iPod Touch, iPhone, a Linksys WRT54G setup as a bridge for my xbox in the bedroom, etc. None of these devices seem to have an issue with the network, but when it comes to my N900, things are a bit different.

Typically in the living room I'll have a perfect connection and things will stay stable. The problem seems to arise in the bedroom which is about 60 feet from the router. I'm using a Linksys WRT300N with DD-WRT on it, and that's what all of these devices are using for their wifi connection. Usually the connection will be alright, but at certain points the phone will just lose connectivity. I use the term loosely because the connection doesn't actually drop, the phone still shows connected as well as the router showing there an active connection to the phone. The issue is, that the phone's connection seems to lose actual connectivity, my Conversations accounts (Aim/Yahoo/GTalk/Ovi) will lose connection, while my Skype account will still list me as connected, but I can't ping the router, my Personal IP Address desktop widget shows a good IP still for my network, but web browsing no longer works either. In order to regain connectivity I need to disconnect and reconnect the wifi connection. After that things may work fine for the rest of the night, or it may happen again in a few minutes. It is a rare night though, when I can go to bed and my N900 will still be connected to the wifi, and usable, when I wake up in the morning...

Is there something I can do, without compromising the current battery life (I've seen ideas of turning the power-saving off for that connection to help), and make things run as expected?

TIA!

Any ideas?

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I have a Linksys WRT320N with the standard settings and the EXACT same problem.

Glad it's not just me. It seems to have gotten a bit better after the FW upgrade, and it actually seems it might have been the DD-WRT firmware on the router, since I reflashed things seem to have calmed down a bit. But now my N900 is in the repair center getting fixed.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
I've experienced this as well, and sometimes reboot to fix it. Not ideal.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Paris, France
I doubt the distance is the problem.

I have some pb with my adhoc connexion between my laptop and my N900, although they are not as far as 1 meter away one another.

At the beginning everything is fine but after some time the transfer rate seems to decline, especially if I don 't use the connexion for a few minutes.

Also I must set up the interfaces in a very precise order otherwise the connexion is very poor. It has to be my laptop first, and then my N900.

I'm using a EeePC900 with debian/Lenny and the latest firmware of MAEMO 5 on the N900. For this connexion I use the EeePC's integrated Atheros Wifi Card (Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)).

The WLAN is an adhoc wifi connexion between those two machines. No encryption.

Last edited by azorni; 2010-02-11 at 23:55.

yep i noticed this as well... I have to disconnect and reconnect.. I thought it was an encryption problem, so i now use WEP, but the stability is still ****..

Btw, i use a netgear router.... Im thinking maybe its an interference problem... what channel are you using?? mine is currently 13 and I changed it just now to 12 to check if thats the issue..

You need to turn off the power saving mode for your Wifi in order to make the connection stable

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
You need to turn off the power saving mode for your Wifi in order to make the connection stable
That's the problem. You shouldn't have to drain your battery at an excessive rate to make a WiFi connection stable on an Internet Tablet...that defeats the purpose.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I've seen this too, but only at work. At home I have a Netgear, and it works fine. At work, about every 3 hours the IM module starts chiming that it lost connection. Wifi is showing connected, but I can't connect. I drop wifi and bring it back and it's all fine.

Could this be a DHCP renewal issue? Maybe the router is expecting a lease renewal every so often, regardless of settings, and dropping it if it doesn't see it?