Posts: 104 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Illinois
Hi. I had a few questions about the 770. I am trying to decide whether to buy the n800 or the 770. I would like to pay as little as possible. So here are my questions.

Is it true the only major differences between the two are that the n800 has a camera and operates faster?

Are all the downloads on Maemo available for the 770?

Is flash supported on the 770? Could I watch Youtube and Fancast?

I heard microSD can be used in the 770, is that true?

The way I look it at it, I want an mp3/video player. And if I can pay a little extra to have internet, even if it's slow, would be a cool feature to have. So does the 770 function well as and mp3/video player, or are the videos really slow?

Thanks for answering my questions.
Kevin

Originally Posted by blowfish23 View Post
Is it true the only major differences between the two are that the n800 has a camera and operates faster?
No. N800 has different memory slots, more built in memory, and there are other differences.
770 has one RSMMC (MMCMobile)
800 has two SD slots

Are all the downloads on Maemo available for the 770?
No. There are different Maemo OS releases.The 770 uses OS2006 mostly. The N800 OS2007/OS2008 mostly. The software is aimed at the OS. You can install what are called "Hacker Editions" of OS2007 and OS2008 on the 770, and YMMV on app performance/compatibility.

Is flash supported on the 770? Could I watch Youtube and Fancast?
Kind of, sort of. :-) There is a flash player for the 770, but its not compatible with Youtube. There are other ways to watch/download Youtube videos though. (UKTUBE and Canola)

I heard microSD can be used in the 770, is that true?
If you don't mind hacking an adapter, there is a thread here on this forum that will show you how to do that. The largest RSMMC card is 2G, so it can be a little tight. Personally, I found a half size 4G SDHC card and hacked it to fit in my 770. Works great, but I'm not plugging it that card back into any SD slots. :-) Well, Maybe I could, but I just use the cable with my 770 to add/remove whatever.

The
way I look it at it, I want an mp3/video player. And if I can pay a little extra to have internet, even if it's slow, would be a cool feature to have. So does the 770 function well as and mp3/video player, or are the videos really slow?
I use my 770 for music and videos (including full length movies) all the time. Looks great and performs great for that. Internet is pretty good. I actually disabled browser based flash and most sites work much better for me. I use Canola for Youtube.

Thanks for answering my questions.
Kevin
No prob. Most people will tell you to go for the 800. I won't disagree with that. I'm happy with my 770 tho.

desiv

The Following User Says Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
If you just want a MP3/Video player, I would not go for a 770 or a N800. Look at the iPod (touch or classic), Zune, or something similar. They are ridiculously better for MP3/Video. Not sure about cost, but look for refurbished if you want to save...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Illinois
One more quick question about the n800. Does it accept SD High Capacity? I just bought a 4 gb memory card and it says not all devices support SDHC cards. Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by blowfish23; 2008-12-06 at 03:18.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Using the latest OS available for the N800, it will support SDHC cards (2 at the same time). If you really are using it mostly for audio/video, dual SD cards would do it for me.

Frank

One more quick question about the n800. Does it accept SD High Capacity? I just bought a 4 gb memory card and it says not all devices support SDHC cards. Thanks,
Kevin

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
The N800 is an OMAP2 while the 770 is an OMAP1 so there are some architectural differences too (probably the most important of which is that the N800 has support for hardware floating point). In fact the standard software isn't compiled to use hardware floating point (due to the size of this code), so this doesn't make much difference unless you compile your own, and you need do do fp stuff.

The N800 is certainly quicker than the 770, however it and the N810 suffer from a slow memory controller which means that playing full-screen video is difficult - you get tearing (though I understand that some patches to Diablo may have improved that).

The most important thing is that the N800 is still supported and updates are forthcoming from Nokia. The next device is thought to be out next year, and it is far more likely that the more recent tablets (i.e. n800 and n810 which are virtually identical under the skin) will be able to run at least some of it.

So to sum it up I'd say get an N800 (actually I'd say get an N810 as I hate not having a keyboard, but there you go )

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: