Poll: Do YOU want THIS?
Poll Options
Do YOU want THIS?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I have an idea for the N9. No clue if its doable, but I think it needs to be done.

"The app screen should not show when there are no apps open."

[This pointless screen.]

We don't need this screen and message. It does against every other idea in the N9's UI.

If this screen doesn't show when we have no apps open, we will know there's no apps open.

Plus it makes it quicker and easier to swap between the Launcher and Feeds screens.

Okay, so thats my part. Anyone able to do this?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Part 2 of Idea:

Make it user customizable, and add option to hide Feeds screen. Plus ability to shown only certain info on Feeds screen. IE. SMS/calls only, calls only, IM and calls, etc...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
"The app screen should not show when there are no apps open."
Makes perfect sense...

Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
Okay, so thats my part. Anyone able to do this?
And I thought u would/could do that!

Originally Posted by qorax View Post
Makes perfect sense...

And I thought u would/could do that!
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe.

I second the OP's idea. There is no need for a multitasking screen if there is no app open and we don't have to swipe around it. But hiding it may involve some deep tinkering with the OS. One way is not to hide it but when one swipe onto an empty multitasking screen it should swipe itself away to the next screen so effectively it feels like there are 2 screens only.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
I think the best way would be to post an enhancement request at http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/. If they ignore it, then we can turn to the community.

I'm also logging the things i found to be irritating and those that can easily be changed here:Things that can and should be improved #N9 – Part 1
I plan to log as many requests in the bug tracker as possible. Please help out!

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ The Netherlands
The uncircumventable empty task switcher screen is one of my primary concerns too, it's actually one of the things that could make me stop using the N9 in the future. With a UI that is so minimal, every illogical extraneous input action has a major impact on the overall user experience.

In another thread i called the empty task switcher the "the ultimate UX dead end", especially when closing the last open application and getting 'stuck' on this screen. Closing something means you want to be able to start something else immediately, or at least get back to your 'home' screen. Although the app list screen is only one swipe away, the existing approach is very counterintuitive and dissatisfying: one swipe with 3 homescreens is still 33% useless interaction.

Personally, i would prefer to see it not being a part of the horizontal swipe cycle at all, but invoked by another method. For instance through the swipe-up-hold method which now shows the 4 app shortcuts. I never use those, since they also feel like a UX mistake: a good (simple) interface should provide one method to start apps, not one and a half baked pseudo-method.

But regardless of the method, it shouldn't be visible when you're cycling screens with no open programs, that's for sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to litemotiv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by litemotiv View Post
In another thread i called the empty task switcher the "the ultimate UX dead end"
In the great "nokia n9 vs the real world." review thread, a relief to read this and other remarks about the interface inconsistencies.

I am sure the dev's had a reason for the "nothing open yet". Hm hm...

Instead of this I would prefer a top x history of most used applications, could be displayed same style as browser history.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Enhancement request, get everyone voting, some enhancement requests have high no's of votes now.
Doesn't mean anything will happen, but it's better than doing nothing, they've said they'll look at them.

that events view is the most annoying to me who do not use facebook or twitter, hope it can be replaced by sms email calender, notification, etc contents

i also suggest that nokia allows us to disable the events view and hide multitasking view when it is empty.