Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
android is improving day by day so is google intruding more day by day

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Which fanboys are you referring to? The apple fanboys, maemo fanboys, android fanboys, Jolla fanboys, N9 fanboys, windows fanboys? Wait... are there windows fanboys? I dunno...
I am referring to android fanboys but essentially I just read it in a german article that they are assuming it to be 'Lollipop'.

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Folks on these threads complain because Android uses Dalvik, which puts a layer between the software and cpu and thus compromises performance. ART does not have this "layer"
Not so.
The difference between Dalvik and ART is that Dalvik's layer is generated during runtime of the application and ART pre-generates whole right after installing the app.
The level of indirection stays the same - only app startup/wormup time improves.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Not so.
The difference between Dalvik and ART is that Dalvik's layer is generated during runtime of the application and ART pre-generates whole right after installing the app.
The level of indirection stays the same - only app startup/wormup time improves.

Maybe I'm confusing things by using the term layer although some times I see diagrams with Dalvik between the software and the CPU. I suppose ART would be there but used differently. I think one important difference is how ART and Dalvik handle the compilation of apps. Because ART uses Ahead-of-TIme (AOT) compilation there can be significant improvement of app performance over Dalvik which uses Just-in-Time(JIT) that compiles code when you run the app. AOT compiles code when you install it.
Maybe JIT approach was useful to reduce memory usage but at the cost of performance speed.

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

Last edited by mscion; 2014-06-26 at 21:37.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
I think you misunderstood my sentence. Folks on these threads complain because Android uses Dalvik, which puts a layer between the software and cpu and thus compromises performance. ART does not have this "layer" and can significantly improve performance. Sorry if this sounds too simplistic. Regardless, I've seen it demoed on an S5. It is impressive.
Sorry I did misunderstand you :P
I have been using ART on all my android devices, it makes a noticeable difference in performance and battery life.

From what I read up on how it works, the uncompiled apps are put on the play store, and the device locally compiles it, and then runs the compiled file, as opposed to interpreting it as it goes. The only issue I have had with ART is 2 seconds of lag when the file is being compiled.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
android is improving day by day so is google intruding more day by day
Eh, I don't think it is worth worrying about. I already have a google account with plenty of personal information associated with it. If google wants the data, they will probably find a way to get it anyhow.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
i thought art would compile on installation, and then thats it

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
i thought art would compile on installation, and then thats it
I think that is the gist of it but ART does some other stuff. Check the link in my previous post. So, from what I've seen, the main improvement in performance is the actually start up of the app. I wonder, because you compile at installation with ART instead of on the fly with Dalvik, if that allows for more flexibility in compilation options to improve performance while the app is running.

Unfortunately on the Galaxy Note 3 that I have, ART isn't an option. Samsung didn't include it.

I really wanted to see the difference it made.

Granted, I could probably try to find a more standard ROM for my phone, but then I would lose all the cool stylus functionality, which is the main reason I got the Note 3.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Agreed.

I'm on Alliance ROM for this reason. All the benefits of TW ROM, but more lean and much added functionality from AOSP ROMs. ART isn't even Xposed-compatible...yet.

I do wonder if ART has a more noticeable impact on slower devices or faster devices.

I'm flattered

Has anyone tried making a cell phone using raspberry pi?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/28/the...-raspberry-pi/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
'smarvelous, 'swonderful, latest, not greatest