I bought a 770 off ebay about a year ago give or take, and I've consistently had problems with it. Most annoyingly, I'll plug it in to charge, and all I get is a "Not Charging" error message. Specifically, it will charge for half a second, maybe up to 2-3 seconds if i'm lucky, then it will pop up the error. Reboot, reflash, i've tried everything, nothing helps.

At first, I thought it was the power adapter. Being the cheap guy that I am, I opted to cut the transformer off and replace it with a USB plug as I've heard that this method has been met with success in the past. Not for me, of course.

By then, I'd honestly lost all interest, so in the drawer it went. Fast forward to today, I got a new battery on ebay for less than $10 shipped. I set it all up, and sure enough, what do you think happens?

It really pisses me off because the message is so cryptic. What the f#&@ is "not charging" supposed to mean anyway? If it's plugged in and the battery is low and it's not charging, then why doesn't it just, I don't know, CHARGE???

Last edited by thecompkid; 2008-11-20 at 21:12.

you cheap bastard....

nah.. but you could probably get a desktop charger for the battery on ebay for less than $10 (just the base without the plug to the wall) - but then you mangled your transformer..

You'd just be throwing your cash away though cos you'd get so annoyed swapping the battery in and out that you'd never use it anyway

Can't polish a turd

Time to let it die, euthanasia is the only humane way to deal with the situation.

"Not Charging" means you're supposed to send it in for repair. Why confuse users with actual data on what's wrong? Judging by what you've tried, pending the new battery is not a dud, the charging circuit (not user serviceable) is probably fried.

I'd recommend not throwing it away, instead I propose you recording a video of you hitting it with a rock, shooting it, or whatever and posting it on YouTube. Most digital still cameras have a video recording function nowadays. I have some pent up frustration from the 770, since mine died of a known flaw happened during the warranty period (sent in Sept.) and they still haven't gotten me a replacement (I was supposed to be getting a N800 as a replacement too).

Hmm...I forgot to say that the problem is not there 100% of the time. Every once and a while, it will charge as normal.

Also, it appears to be charging regardless of the not charging message (at least with this new battery, I don't remember that happening before). Obviously, if this is true, then I can live with it.

Yeah, I was "this" close to tossing it, but then I decided to see how much a new battery costs.

The 810's gps seems enticing, especially because I was reviving my 770 to see if I could repurpose it into some kind of mini-carputer (complete with OBDII reader, which I was amazed to learn actually exists for the 770).

I really should let the thing die...

EDIT: Wait a minute, here. I tried plugging it into different sources of USB power (it was plugged into a windows laptop before) and plugging it into my macbook appears to consistently charge it properly.

Last edited by thecompkid; 2008-11-20 at 22:26.

Is there anyway to keep the 770 from booting the OS, because I have a sneaking suspicion that this problem is software related.

When you plug in the tablet and its off, it goes momentarily to a bootloader charging screen before it gets to the actual OS charging screen. Is there anyway to keep it on the BL?

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Bethesda, MD
Was the original Ac Power Supply NOKIA? These N Series devices do not like anything but the OEM NOKIA Chargers, ESPECIALLY when the battery is all the way, or close to, completely drained. If you do not have a real NOKIA AC harger, get one.

BB 8330 w/ SPRINT

NOKIA 770 w/ OS 2006
1 GB SanDisk RS-MMC

I think I may have damaged my 770's charger cable / dc plug somehow. It may have caused similar syptoms, but i don't remember a "not charging" message. I just charge it off my n800's charger. There's also a chance that your 770's jack is damaged.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
even if it doesnt charge teh battery , the tablet still could be used as desktop only device (streaming client, remote controle etc. etc.)
be creative!

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post

Can't polish a turd
In a Mythbusters episode recently broadcasted the contrary was demonstrated

http://mythbustersresults.com/episod...nd-with-a-bang

One never stops to learn something new

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by tom61 View Post
"Not Charging" means you're supposed to send it in for repair.
"Not Charging" on a Nokia device usually means that the charger deviates detectably from Nokia's standards. It might be defective, it might be a low-quality non-OEM charger, or it might be designed for another piece of equipment. I have had this message on Nokia phones and Tablet when I was trying various combinations to see whether I could reduce the number of chargers we had to pack for vacation.

There could be other reasons. As Tom61 says, your Tablet's charging circuit might have a flaw. Or you might have a substandard power supply in your house, delivering inadequate voltage to the charger. It's more likely to be the charger, though, and this is the easiest thing to test. You should be able to use any Nokia charger built for use in your country and having a 2 mm pin. (Older Nokia chargers have a fatter pin.)

If the problem seems to be inside your Tablet, there are other solutions. On eBay you can find charging cradles for any kind of Nokia battery. They come from Hong Kong, cost under $5 including delivery almost anywhere in the world, and work fine. You put your battery in the big rectangular space, plug your charger's pin into the small hole in the cradle, and plug the other end into the wall outlet as usual. (Some of them plug directly into the wall outlet without needing the charger.) There will be a light to indicate when your battery is fully charged: it will change colour, or stop flashing, or something like that, depending on the model you get.

Sometimes the charging cradle is offered with a spare non-OEM battery at an amazingly low price. This can work OK, but you will have to take care. I had one that was a tiny bit fatter than a genuine Nokia battery, and the battery door did not close easily over it. Before I got used to the extra care it needed, I pushed too hard and chipped a little bit of plastic off the Tablet. It was easy to repair with plastic cement, but I should have been more careful in the first place.