Okay I found that the latest beta does not like the 10MB Merriam-Webster College dictionary with eReader. If you want to wipe all the programs you've installed into Garnet VM install that dictionary and you'll see what I mean.

Other than the faster termination I've not seen any benefits of the new emulator. I had Epocrates running fine on the last release, but when I install it on this release, I can't connect to the GVM and lose all my installed apps. In addition, it seems to crash about the same as the earlier release with some apps. It simply disappears when running some apps and loses all information that was recently entered. I may have to go back to the earlier release if I'm to get Epocrates to work. Basically, whenever I try to hotsync it appears to work but then all my apps are messed up. Hotsync was problematic before, but I did get Epocrates to install (requires hotsync). Any one have any better luck with this release?

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
MAKE A BACKUP !!!

I tried it and I lost all my installed apps (planetarium and Google Maps).
Luckily I had backupped the stuff, so I uninstalled and reinstalled beta 2 and restored the backup of the .gvm folder including the 16 meg gvm.store file and the installed apps worked OK.
So make a backup of the .gvm folder before installing it.
Backup and restore isn't working for me. If I install Beta 3 and restore the .gvm directory, it doesn't work (error about cannot connect, then applications reset). If I install Beta 2 again and restore from the same .gvm backup, everything is retained and works. I've repeated this sequence three times with two different .gvm backups.

Since I have a few dozen programs installed and I've never gotten hotsynch to work here, this sucks...

Last edited by rcsteiner; 2008-11-28 at 05:23.

One benefit to me is that the Palm Audible player now works.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25243

Originally Posted by magicus View Post
I upgraded to beta 3. When I start Garnet VM, I'm greeted by a:
"Can't connecto to GVM. (error 0x30040000)"

If I reformat the storage, the new beta works. But then my old data is lost (yep, I made a backup before upgrading, so no real problem).

Since I never got hotsyncing to work properly over wifi (instead, I've just made backups of my .gvm directory) this leaves me in a position where I can't upgrade and keep my data. That sucks. :-(

Anyone else who have experienced this? Did you find any way to solve this?

I tried to replace just the gvm.store file with my old version, and let the new version generate the rest of the .gvm directory, but that didn't work either.
I had the same error and couldn't get around it except to start with a fresh slate and reinstall over 50Mb of apps and data. Somewhat like you, I had only gotten Hotsync to work well enough to install some files that couldn't be installed via the GVM launcher. (As far as I am aware, the launcher will only install .prc and .pdb files).

So, I spent hours getting Hotsync to work well enough to backup the data to my PC. Hotsync crashed, crashed and crashed. The prob turned out to be that Hotsync was choking on specific files (see another thread about this). I was able to find those files one by one and flip the backup bit on those files off until I got a smooth backup.

I created a new store, loaded all the apps on it and nearly had it done before the GVM trashed the store. I started over again and had more luck. My advice to anyone who's building a large store is that they should do checkpoint backups through the process in case the GVM sends the new installation into the black hole.

I hate to think how long this took me, but I think it'll be worth it. Exit times are much, much faster. That may not seem like much to those who have smaller stores; however, I know that some of my catastrophic failures have occurred when the GVM crashed while exiting. It only makes sense that if the GVM is writing a lot of data back during exit that a crash there might leave inconsistent data. We'll see how it goes. I think I'll see fewer crashes and less data loss.

Last edited by burmashave; 2008-11-29 at 17:15.

In another post in a thread not far away, danahyatt was heard to say:
Just got an notice to download new version from Access. Tried the install and libraries are missing so no update this time. I wrote to support and the webmaster wrote back and told me to update my maemo os. That has been flashed for months already. I will stay with the old beta of Garnet VM for now.
I ran into the same issue while I was trying to install GVM beta 3. It wasn't really missing libs; it was versions lower than required:

Code:
root@n810 .documents # apt-get check garnet-vm_1.0.2b_ITOS2008.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 garnet-vm: Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5) but 2.2.1-1osso3 is installed
 Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.12-1osso10) but 2.12.12-1osso9 is installed
 Depends: libhildonfm2 (>= 1:2.0.5) but 1:1.9.49 is installed
 Depends: libosso1 (>= 2.16) but 2.13-1.1fix is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
I'm guessing this is a chinook/diablo issue because I could not find the above versions in the repositories.

So, I forced the dependencies:
Code:
dpkg -i --force-depends garnet-vm_1.0.2b_ITOS2008.deb
That seemed to work for me. Of course the normal warnings apply. Do not stand above this step..., point away from face..., no user serviceable parts inside, contents under pressure..., and so on.

Last edited by burmashave; 2008-11-28 at 17:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burmashave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
On a lighter note, did anyone notice the image was OS2007 running on a N810? Why did they go through the trouble of photoshopping, maybe they don't have a N810!
I lol at that...

Yes yes, I know they have N810s

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Why was this thread moved from the only forum where it's really topical (the PalmOS forum)?

Hi there,

I just updated my Nokia N810 with Garnet Beta 3 and wiped
all my installed palm programs. I have a copy of the gvm,
but not of the old Garnet Beta 2 install file.
Could someone provide me with the old installer file, so that I can recover my data?

Thanks a lot,

Talladur

Talladur, I tried to PM you but couldn't, perhaps because you're a new member. PM me about the Garnet Beta 2 deb file.

The Following User Says Thank You to burmashave For This Useful Post:

Tags
garnet, palm