I have a legal copy of a DVD placed on my hardrive. I converted the DVD by IAMTOO DVD Ripper with the video sized at 480x640. When I placed the copy on the Internet tablet converter and transformed the movie looks good on the N810 but is not the full screen that I want?

The video settings on Internet converter don't seem to go beyond 400x240?

What am I doing wrong? With my aging eyes I need all I can get!

Check your aspect ratios - The screen resolution is 800x480, so you want to maintain that sort of figure (e.g. 400x240) to keep the video full-screen.
Anything encoded at 400x240 is very watchable anyway, since I think all media players on the tablet will full-screen them correctly when you hit the full-screen key.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Yep, codeMonkey is exactly right. 400x240 is optimum resolution for watching videos. If you use the Nokia Video Converter that what it'll end up producing your videos at.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Before you do anything though, you'll have to download the official Internet Tablet Video Converter (it only works on Windows PCs I'm afraid).

On your PC, go to the Internet Tablet Video Converter website click on the Download near the bottom of the screen, then click on the second "Download" and then "Save File". When you've downloaded the file, double click on it to start the installation process and follow the on-screen instructions.

After the converter is installed, it should appear in the Start menu's Programs section, in the Nokia folder.

Now, here's what you do next:

1. Start the Internet Tablet Video Converter (ITVC) on your PC.

2. Find the video file you want to convert on your PC.

3. Drag the icon of the video file into the window of the ITVC.

4. The ITVC should automatically start converting the file. This may take a very long time for very large files.

5. When the conversion has finished, the progress bar will disappear and four black icons will appear to the right of the video's screen shot. The arrow starts the transfer process (we'll discuss that below), the "i" gives you information about the video, the triangle plays the converted video and the rubbish bin deletes the video.
---------------------
Barbie Purl
Promoter

Ok and thanks to all...I believe the previous version of the converter offered the 800x640?

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by barbiepurl View Post
Before you do anything though, you'll have to download the official Internet Tablet Video Converter (it only works on Windows PCs I'm afraid).
There's also an OS X version.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
Ok and thanks to all...I believe the previous version of the converter offered the 800x640?
your n8x0 won't be able to play 800x640 smoothly.

Thanks for the replys. I do not need video perfection and can deal with some blurred frames and skipped audio. I just can't view the small real estate offered with no optional settings. Let me tell ya, getting old sucks even with eye correction.

It's not a big deal, just use the device to check mail and cruise a few sites when at work.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
When I placed the copy on the Internet tablet converter and transformed the movie looks good on the N810 but is not the full screen that I want?
Can you explain this in detail? What does "not the full screen" mean? Black borders above and below, but full width? Or a small video framed by black borders on all 4 sides? Or black borders only left and right? Which player do you use? What is the aspect ratio of the original DVD? Widescreen, 4:3,...?

I haven't tried this yet, so Im not sure that the maemo version of mplayer supports this but,
Native DVD resolution is 720x480 for NTSC, and 720x576 for PAL, but there is an aspect flag that specifies whether it is full-screen (4:3) or wide-screen (16:9). Many (if not most) widescreen DVDs are not strictly 16:9, and will be either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (cinescope). This means that there will be black bands in the video that will need to be cropped out.

MPlayer provides a crop detection filter that will determine the crop rectangle (-vf cropdetect). Run MPlayer with -vf cropdetect and it will print out the crop settings to remove the borders. You should let the movie run long enough that the whole picture area is used, in order to get accurate crop values.

Then, test the values you get with MPlayer, using the command line which was printed by cropdetect, and adjust the rectangle as needed.
-http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-crop

The Following User Says Thank You to massIV For This Useful Post: