Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Wait, doesn't /usr contain data that is needed to mount the emmc. If you move it to the emmc how is it gonna mount the emmc?

Ya follow?
Well, all you need to mount a partition is a running kernel (plus any necessary modules) and /bin/mount. As long as /bin stays in / you should be OK (tm).

So even if /usr is used very early in Maemo, if you mount /usr *first* thing when booting (i.e. first lines of /sbin/preinit) you should be OK (tm).

So much for the theory though...

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement

As far as I remember, there were comparison tests for NAND and eMMC speed, and NAND is *much* faster. Can't link to results now, though. Also, keep in mind, that more crucial things on eMMC, more I/O conflicts between it and regular read/writes. We have already avoided it by using swap on microSD, so introducing it back again, by putting things from NAND into eMMC doesn't seems like good design decision at all.

By the way, I wonder, why You have problems with space on rootfs. Currently, I got 55 MB free, *without* deleting any locales, moving any things to eMMC etc. I think You got something eating Your rootfs space (.cap and .ivs files from aircrack? Not optified packages?), cause during normal circumstances, it should not result in "out of space" in any point of time.

Of course it's up to You, and experiments may be worth trying just for sake of knowledge, but it seems for me that You're cutting of leg, instead of curing it.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Non-optified packages, as i have much stuff installed. I travel alot and it's kinda safe feeling to have "everything" with me, just in case and while being offline.

So, isn't it easier to just optify such packages, instead of moving everything, including some system "internals"?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
How? With the perl/python script? This still doesn't resolve that critical system files don't belong in /usr...

By script, or manually symlinking, one package at a time. I suppose you doesn't have 364646 non optified packages installed?

As for system files not belonging to /usr/, even if we agree about that, what You gain by tinkering with it?... It feels like just aesthetic.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Estel,

I for one would be happy if there was a strict separation between /{bin,sbin,lib} and /usr/{bin,sbin,lib}.

In theory /bin and /sbin and /lib should contain what is required for booting. The rest can and should go to /usr.

Whenever I installed linux in the past I always made a separate partition for /usr and I kept / read-only (also /usr, but that was more flexible).

I just "feels right" to be able to say: this partition is all I need to boot, so I want it separate from the rest.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Just a thought (sorry for resurrecrting this thread), most problems with symlinks (except the ones that _need_ rootfs as in booting routine) is that at some point ../.. leads nowhere (my understanding of actual problem is limited, very), Tanner had similar problems with libs/includes... Has anyone tried just optifying to the same level of depth? so ../.. would result in exactly 2 level shallower call? If when building something symlinked to /opt/dir1/ calls ../ it ends up in /opt, proposed solution (most likely ********) link files to /opt/. Same depth wouldn't help those situations? It guarantees a mess in /opt/ (you can put /lib files and /bin etc), but should keep those nasty one-level down calls in check? Any thoughts???

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Has anyone tried bind mounting /opt/maemo/usr into /usr (if not via /etc/fstab, then via the boot scripts)? That should be closer to "the real thing" compared to a symlink.

The Following User Says Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post: