Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Oslo is haunted by floating heads! I suppose they're Qt floating heads at least.
I havent seen any of that when i was there this summer...

Qt needs a way to deal with oauth in an easy to use way and probably integrated with QNetworkManager, because more and more webservices are adopting oauth mechanism for their authetication.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Ignacius View Post
Qt needs a way to deal with oauth in an easy to use way and probably integrated with QNetworkManager, because more and more webservices are adopting oauth mechanism for their authetication.
Is OAuth standardized enough at this point to make that feasible? Last I heard, there were numerous grey areas within the spec, and that had led to divergent implementations by various services.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's time to get serious about Qt!
It is time to get some resources for those who want to learn it as well. There is stuff out there, but it is sketchy, and takes alot of googling or assumes previous knowledge of C++

If nokia really wants to get serious it has to have the resources to attract a new generation of coders

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
It is time to get some resources for those who want to learn it as well. There is stuff out there, but it is sketchy, and takes alot of googling or assumes previous knowledge of C++

If nokia really wants to get serious it has to have the resources to attract a new generation of coders
I am not a QT expert but there is alot more code written in QT already than for example Android. And about C++ simple apps can be written in QtQuick without C++. There also is pyside for those who prefer python language. I really hope pyside progresses too and nokia dont abandon that cause of QML. Python is alot simpler language than C++ too learn for new developers and is good for apps to except for games and such. The fact that C++ is not having a garbage collector is one of the biggest issues for those coming from java and C# world ofcourse but there is also good things with C++

support for python apps on ovistore is a must imho...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-09-21 at 22:34.

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
Learn what, Qt or C++? I'd say if you want to learn a C++ based toolkit, you would do well to learn the language before delving into the wild changes that Qt introduces.

It's sorta like taking introductory chemistry before taking organic or inorganic chemistry. You're expected to have studied the prerequisites before moving on

And that generation of coders should meet Nokia half way, by at least familiarizing themselves with C++ first (which, if they're any good as a programmer, should not be hard.)

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Python is alot simpler language than C++ too learn for new developers and is good for apps to except for games and such.
I am not a programmer but I have to tell you that EVE Online one of the most "complicated" pieces of software ever is developed in Stackless Python.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2010/09/20/...pe-production/

Supposedly available in Q4

The more I see of Qt Quick the more I like it.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Last edited by cfh11; 2010-09-29 at 20:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Ok... so here is what I'm trying to wrap my head around. Qt 4.7 is deployed across Maemo, Meego, Symbian etc. If an app is closed source, is there any hope of cross compatibility in a usable state? In other words, we know apps are technically cross compatible in Qt, but could you for example create a compatibility layer that automatically hildonizes Symbian apps for Maemo?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Ok... so here is what I'm trying to wrap my head around. Qt 4.7 is deployed across Maemo, Meego, Symbian etc. If an app is closed source, is there any hope of cross compatibility in a usable state? In other words, we know apps are technically cross compatible in Qt, but could you for example create a compatibility layer that automatically hildonizes Symbian apps for Maemo?
QT is not compile once run (debug) everywhere like Java. Its model is to recompile for every platform. The end result is a native binary for every platform. So unless you make an emulator for Symbian that runs on Maemo, there's no way a closed source QT app can be "ported" from Symbian to Maemo.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:

Tags
qtmobility