Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to a Pre 3/TouchPad combo upon release. The synergy between the two devices is exactly what I've been looking for, and webOS is the next-best thing to Maemo. Hopefully before long we'll see things like SIXAXIS support pop up.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post
just imagine for a moment, if webOS was available in the n900.
What would happen?

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
IIRC, they replaced dbus with a proprietary solution and the rendering subsystem is proprietary as well.

If they were to put impetus behind Wayland and go fully open source with the lower levels, we'd be golden. Otherwise it's sorta the same lurch you've been in with Maemo :/

If they were to fix that and, as Ima said, open up a bit they'd have a winner. Otherwise I'll just be watching HP and Samsung (go go rasterman) from a distance.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I guess this is all part of the complains someone made about media like Engadget. All it takes from HP is a single server to make headlines. All it takes to Nokia is basically an elopcalypse The years of maemo.org will fall into the void.
"elopcalypse", lol i like that one.

On topic, I would definitley be interested in having myself a palm device if my beloved N900 gives up on me. Like most people have said though, the form factor is not to too appealing. If ever they decide to go looking back on designer competition entrie for ideas, i hope they make these...

That said, I would not mind an n900 dual boot option if one comes a long

Oh, and those tablets look damn sexy. I want one of those too

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
someone should fork Qt because as soon as Microsoft buys Nokia they will killit.

My guess 2012
Is there some reason it would be better to fork it now? If/when MS buys Nokia seems a far better time, as you'll get more of the Qt community on board...

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
I don't know these thing are looking sexi as fuq. For those who the the Veer is too small their is the Pre3 which is bigger.
HP-Pre3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-b_U4kVklY

HP-Touch Pad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ZA8...eature=related

The Following User Says Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
The other point any move would hinge on is if HP makes these available unlocked directly, or if they're going to force everyone through the carrier.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Australia
Personally, I have had three Nokias for their strength in hardware, and an N900 for a gorgeous Linux-based system with a strong community. I don't demand Linux on my phone, but it was a definite plus.

I love the idea and the look of WebOS, and am really excited that the former head of Maemo development is now in charge, but that's what it'll take: Strong hardware including good quality camera and good quality loudspeaker(s), and a strong app catalogue and community, and availability (I don't think the Pre ever came to Australia).

But I really, really hope they manage to pull it off. Even if I get a good hardware solution running Android, I want to see more smartphone competition.

Tags
ari jaaksi, hp webos