Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why would they do that? Most of these so-called lab rats are eager to buy yet another N900, so invariably they'll be in line for the N9 come hell or high water.
I was very excited by the N900, and have little interest in the N9. If I am indicative, then you are wrong

I've long been enthusiastic about an open source mobile handset, and the N900 and Nokia's projected attitude at the time ticked a lot of the right boxes for me.

I was up for a bit of app development and core software improvement - but the latter was thwarted by finding most of the core components too closed to address directly, and bugreports ignored/dismissed as a matter of policy; that powerlessness thwarted many things in the end.

I doubt of those of us with moderate incomes will rush to buy an N9 after paying the high price for the N900. It's just too much money to buy a new one every year for only a little advancement - especially now that we've got more realistic expectations of the kind of support/development/apps/DRM environment to expect.

The N900 was a bit special because it had potential to be an exciting more open alternative to Android - if it had received further investment - and Nokia's advertising/summits seemed to send out the message that it *would* get their continuing support more than it did. The community is full of good people, but it needs much more than unpaid community for something like this to thrive.

Meego has potential too, but this second time around, I think I'll wait and see how the Meego landscape evolves for a year or two after the first devices are released, before thinking to buy one or get involved.

Call me a cynic, if you like, or call me more realistic in my expectations. They are just too expensive to buy for fun once a year, without a really compelling reason.

NB: Flash 10.1 is not such a reason: Web sites will require Flash 11 or whatever soon after you've bought a Flash 10.1 (only) Meego device anyway! I don't see why Meego will fare any differently than Maemo 5 in that respect - Adobe have shown they don't give out free upgrades. (Not that I care about Flash - though I do care that the N900 struggles to play most web video for no good technical reason. Bah! to closed source.)

I haven't heard of Meego providing any astonishing new goodness that the N900 doesn't basically do already. Just small incremental improvements, which are nice, and perhaps a DRM-only commercial app landscape, which is not nice If it costs the same as two cheap laptops - as the N900 did - that's a good reason to think twice if the N9 experience will be a repeat of the 900 one - i.e. lots of potential, unfulfilled due to lack of resources/will.

Despite little interest in the N9, if/when my N900 breaks I can see me looking around for a replacement cheap N900. It is proving very useful to me every day, despite its unnecessary limitations and bugs. Yes, as a phone, for business even, it does me well.

Theres no doubt that flash going to be on Meego.
Here is slightly fresh version of proving that http://www.brighthand.com/default.as...ne+webOS+MeeGo
Still wouldn't keep my expectation high after all its Adobe