Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
thing is. i didnt mind spending 550usd thinking that it would bring me the same satisfaction like what my past Nseries handhelds gave me.
now im just sad that im stuck with this one for a long time coz it will deppreciate a lot if i sell it and i'll end up adding another $200 at the least to change handsets.
Why the regret? Did you know you can download lots of cool applications here and make the N900 more fun and exciting? Check out the thread on What are the "must have" (top, best, most useful) http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41905

The N900 has a great Carl Zeiss 5Mp camera (a little poor in low light), but better than most phones in it's class. 32Gb memory, good sound and whole list of other capabilities. Explore it! Enjoy it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Why the regret? Did you know you can download lots of cool applications here and make the N900 more fun and exciting? Check out the thread on What are the "must have" (top, best, most useful) http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41905

The N900 has a great Carl Zeiss 5Mp camera (a little poor in low light), but better than most phones in it's class. 32Gb memory, good sound and whole list of other capabilities. Explore it! Enjoy it!
thanks for the link. i'll give it a go. i apologize for the rants, i was just expecting more spoonfed features for the price i guess.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
thanks for the link. i'll give it a go. i apologize for the rants, i was just expecting more spoonfed features for the price i guess.
No prob, you can get lots of application here, Ovi store or through the N900 Application Manager > Download

Come back here for recommendations, support and to have a good laugh at some discussions.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
some normal people like me, we actually rely on ads for a lasting impression.
that is why normal people get screwed with the ads.

if some functionality cannot been found in ads, and you think it is in par to other components, slap yourself into face and say out loud: "stupid"

that will probably save you a lot of money
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

my point was there wasn't any trace of xterm usage and any other geeky functionality on the ad like modding. and for some normal people like me, we actually rely on ads for a lasting impression.
So it does more than they told you about in the ads? Result!

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Originally Posted by lunat View Post
whaaaat? seems a lot companies do what you say is impossible. sure: you do get the phone like others together with a contract for "free" or with some amount "paid back" if you choose the n900 together with a contract.

who says you have to lock it down? that's nonsense really! it's actually the opposite way round: the iphone as a locked down phone is limited to few companies. for that you can only get it with contracts of a limited number of providers. the n900 you get free with a contract of most major tecos.

I think you really miss the point. In my area, it costs almost the same money as if I would join one of those regular plan(where the tecos would throw in a phone for 'free') to get the data/voice service that I want with the unlock N900(or any other unlock phone); so how many typical consumer(as suggested in the OP) would really go out of their way to do it? That is the main reason why N900 'fails'.

Last edited by cheve; 2010-11-26 at 18:16.

Originally Posted by lunat View Post
maybe you should go somewhere else ...
others don't have your problems.

EDIT: i would certainly not recommend your shop ...
fyi, until recently, at where I live there are 4 major tele companies where they ALL offer similar 'free'-phone plan; so it does not really matter which local/retail shop that you would go to other than you may have different selection of phones. For iphone or other new and shinny phone, you would still need to pay a lump sum of $100 upfront for the joy of such ownership.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Check out the BlessN900 camera app (from Maemo.org) and try all the settings. I found it improved the low-light quality enormously, taking clear pictures that look like normal light levels, in a darkly lit environment. Much better than even my dedicated camera, it was a lovely surprise.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Here are my thoughts on why the n900 failed. When the n900 launched it was 650 dollars when one could buy an Archos 5 and install sde (special developer editon firmware) and a smartq v5 for less money and you would have just as much hackability and openness, you could also buy a UMPC like the Viliv n5/s5 or the Umid m1/m2 for the same price. The n900's screen is only 3.5inches, that would perfectly fine if Nokia was making a mainstream smartphone but they weren't making a smartphone, the Nokia Internet Tablets were designed to be Nokia's answer to Archos, SmartQ, Viliv, and the rest of China, 3.5inches doesn't make a MID. Also the thing had smartphone functions, what but this thing is two handed like a MID and it lacks basic phone functions like mms? The n900 didn't have 4 row keyboard or 4.1inch screen like the n810 and there are many who like the n810 form factor so that kills a very large chunk of potential customers. The n900 was the typical lets cram 1,000 functions in one device and not try to make all of those functions work well (Nokia does that a lot), the n810 was the exact opposite that. What Nokia should have done with the n900 is a make a MID or a mainstream smartphone rather than trying to make a device that is both (Dell on the other hand was successful at creating a device that was both phone and MID with the Streak). My thoughts.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
my point was there wasn't any trace of xterm usage and any other geeky functionality on the ad like modding. and for some normal people like me, we actually rely on ads for a lasting impression.
Don't watch advertisements on television. Use AdBlocker on the Internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:

Tags
making popcorn, op stop posting