Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
My USB port came out yesterday I spent hours looking on Ebay for a replacement N900, aware that Nokia Care is likely to take a long time holding my N900 before they fix/replace it, and as quickly as possible making a backup of its contents before the battery ran flat. rsync finished backing everything up just before it went flat, was a close one!

So I'm thinking, there has been excellent work porting Android to the N900 (NITdroid).

And there is excellent Android hardware out at the moment, with very similar CPUs from userspace perspective. With more Android hardware expected in future, while new N900s are getting harder to find.

Who fancies porting Maemo/Meego onto some of the excellent Android hardware - give us the best of both worlds? Is anyone doing it already (doubtful)?

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Could be hard.
It can(??) be done if the cpu is OMAP 34**. You need to use the Maemo(Beta4 IIRC) SDK.
Have a look here: http://maemo-beagle.garage.maemo.org/
The link is for beagleboard instructions.. Could help.

A lot of Maemo is closed source.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Meego seems a better bet in the longer term (though I like Maemo more personally). I found some people are making slow progress on porting Meego, with usual problems of closed source 3d drivers etc...
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/MSMQSD
Looks like it will be a long time before it's really usable like NITdroid the other way round.

I am afraid MeeGo without a Nokia layer isn't going to be as attractive as whatever UX Nokia'd put on there. Personally, I think MeeGo as-is looks fairly nondescript (read: standard, boring, soulless) compared to the Maemo user interface.

Furthermore, I don't think Maemo 5 as-is would work very well on a less accurate screen. It pretty much requires either stylus or fingernail usage. I have a much higher missed-link percentage on the ZTE Blade than I did on the N900, with the smaller links on Maemo 5 I don't think I could manage on the Blade hardware.

Res vs cap; accuracy vs hype:
(look, we can use styluses too!)

But I would love to try.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!