OBS - "This project is in its infancy."

arstechnica.com

gizmodo.com

So, Mozilla is tired of Google holding back and launches a seemingly ChromeOS inspired, Android derived OS.

Mozilla's current tentative plan is to adopt a slim layer of existing code from the lower levels of the Android operating system for hardware enablement purposes and then build a completely custom user interface and application stack around Gecko, the Firefox HTML rendering engine. Android was chosen because it will theoretically offer compatibility with existing hardware, but Mozilla ultimately intends to use "as little of Android as possible." It will not use Android's Java-based environment and it will not support programming in native code.
It seems exciting because it'll seemingly be more open than Android. It seems unappealing because it'll seemingly be a javascript OS. I don't know WebOS or ChromeOS, so I wonder how dependent will it be on internet traffic... (International data roaming is still too expensive to use).

Any initial thoughts?

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Seems to be shaping up, it was all over MWC in Barcelona. I'm surprised it didn't cause a stir here. Any chance it could run on our N900s?