Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
This is fantastic!

Is this compatible with whatever (Maemo) kernels are installed?

I have Titan kernel and no problem. I think that it is compatible with any kernel ATM.

Has anyone tested this with the updated bootloader package, used with the NITDroid project called multiboot?

hoggerz

The Following User Says Thank You to hoggerz For This Useful Post:
very nice script, thank you very much`robbiethe1st
but if i try other features (usb network, ssh server..) i donīt get a network connection. i donīt know if its on my device or a bug. can someone confirm this problem?
another question: did anyone perform a successful restore of rootfs?

regards

Last edited by zement; 2010-07-18 at 17:54.

could this be used as to get people with dual boot OS like maemo and android or meego (Any combination) with little effort? having it all set up?

Originally Posted by Dany-69 View Post
XD great XD

Another problem.... i've put the .item file in the folder... but when i boot with the keyboard opened .. it appears only the nokia logo... nothing else
It's very strange because, some minutes ago, with the file mer.item, the bootmenu appeared with no problem...

Then i've erased it and i've put backupmenu.item... and nothing happens

whyyy? T_T
Sounds like there's an error in the code - Make sure that you -save- my file(right-click, save-as) versus opening it and then saving it, or copy-pasting the contents into a file.
Just get a new copy from my link in the first post, try again. If its still giving you trouble, let me know.

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
This is fantastic!

Is this compatible with whatever (Maemo) kernels are installed?
It shouldn't matter; Its a shell-script, so as long as the OS actually -works-, it ought to run fine no matter what.

Just so you know, I started out with the stock kernel, but am now using Titan's kernel for OCing. No changes needed, no worries.

Originally Posted by zement View Post
very nice script, thank you very much`robbiethe1st
but if i try other features (usb network, ssh server..) i donīt get a network connection. i donīt know if its on my device or a bug. can someone confirm this problem?
I think its a bug - I'm not entirely sure how USB networking works, so while I added the features that were in RescueMenu, I didn't really mess with or test it.
I assume it should work now(Ver. 0.30), but it will probably require the N900 to be configured for USB network beforehand in the OS.
It should be possible to do it in my script, but I don't really know how.
The code that I'm using for enabling it can be found in function "connUSBNet()", at line #87.

Originally Posted by zement View Post
another question: did anyone perform a successful restore of rootfs?
I know I have a few times in testing, but I haven't had a situation where I totally borked the OS and was able to recover it -without- the aid of the flasher-utility. However, I haven't had an opportunity to do this since version 0.25, and I fixed a few recovery-related problems since then.
Even so, it means that you should still be able to use it, but if you think you need to recover - make sure you have a PC handy just in case.

Originally Posted by dyce View Post
could this be used as to get people with dual boot OS like maemo and android or meego (Any combination) with little effort? having it all set up?
I'm not entirely sure what your asking, but I think the answer is no.
If you mean running a copy of Maemo off your SD card or somesuch, then probably. But it's only intended for backing up and restoring your maemo partitions, and really doesn't have anything to do with other OSs.
However, it should be compatible with custom configurations, though you may have to edit the "save locations" at the top of the script(say if your main eMMC data partition was #4 instead of #1 like it is now).

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
i hope your boot menu work with Nitdroid dual boot

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
i hope your boot menu work with Nitdroid dual boot
I just took a look at it - it probably -won't-, at least not by copying it into /etc/multiboot.d/.
You can -probably- get it to work the same by:
1. at the boot prompt, press C for console.
2. type "/path/to/BackupMenu.item"
If that doesn't work, make sure its marked as executable by running:
"chmod +x /path/to/BackupMenu.item".

Now, someone well versed in writing item files for MultiBoot -might- be able to convince it to drop to a shell and then excecute it, but I can't do it.

Either way, go ahead and experiment - Though the latter is fairly unlikely.

-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
ill have a quick look at gettign this going on MultiBoot for ya

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Do you plan to release this nice script to extras-devel which makes it easier to stay up2date and to install it?