Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Melbourne
Hi!

My name is Zak, and I'm a Brit now living in Melbourne.

I have had my N900 since the middle of December and am loving owning it!

I spend far too much time on the internet and the thing I do least with a mobile is make calls, so the N900 is perfect for me. I love it as it is now, and also the potential it has.

My last phone was an N95 8Gb, which I absolutely managed to rule the world with. It was the equivalent of the Millennium Falcon!

Now I'm ahead of the pack and love the Maemo community!

Enjoy!

The Following User Says Thank You to zaksloan For This Useful Post:
New member here!
First time user of maemo platform but a bit familiar with linux/debian.

Be well

The Following User Says Thank You to madnes For This Useful Post:
Hello! Had the N900 for a week now. Enjoying it far more than my 770 which I used for about a month and then sat in a drawer collecting dust. Battery life is a bit of a concern though, and the calendar is nowhere near as good as the Palm (my benchmark). But hopefully this will improve over time.

The Following User Says Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post:
hello! newbie here!

The Following User Says Thank You to jxie90 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Hello, World!

The Following User Says Thank You to rodriantonioli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by rodriantonioli View Post
Hello, World!
Hello from California, USA!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Argenteuil France
Hello everyone from Paris
new registered
I am not a newbie in linux, not an expert either, just a user of ubuntu.
Just happy and long live Maemo

The Following User Says Thank You to ZZzzZzzz For This Useful Post:
Hello! I thought I would join this site as a new n900 user as it seems like a good place to watch the maemo beast develop, and in particular watch the n900 software keep getting better.

I have only had the phone for one day, but like most here have been doing a lot of research prior to getting my grubby little fingers on it! I am in New Zealand so Nokia have not released it for local sale – I purchased from a parallel importer. While a little more expensive than importing from say Amazon, at least I now have a one year warranty (peace of mind).

Mine is a MENA region one (from Africa/middle east), so on startup the ‘New Zealand’ region was not there which seemed strange – but it does not appear to really matter as I have the correct time zone dialled in anyway! I did a full OTA update once I got it from 42.11 to 44.1 to the newest 51 software without any hitch whatsoever and its running perfectly.

I am not a ‘power user’ at all – I am frugal with my data, so out and about I really just use it as a phone and only use an active data connection if needs must (update my feeds for some news, check email, check facebook or upload a pic to there). Althought at the moment I am trying the 'constant active connection' thing to get emails and RSS feeds, inconjunction with the data plan monitor! seems to be working ok.

I am on my 2nd battery cycle and it seems pretty good (probably given my lack of active connections). I am sure it will improve as batteries do after a few charge/discharges. I haven’t had a problem with the charging plugs but I just make sure I am careful. They seem to be ‘just right’ pressure wise.

Overall it has exceeded my expectations. I can see this really is a powerful device and it performs flawlessly for me. Sure there are a few niggles (headphone jack gets in the way using the keyboard if you have phones plugged in is my main one, and I cannot delete emails in my hotmail account from the phone - even when that 'delete from server' tag is checked) but in general it does everything I need it to do well. I am sure I will find a few problems down the track, and sure it’s a bit of a brick – but worth it. I would like to see OVI desktop support for my PC as I really like that…I am coming from an n95 haha! So this is SUCH a step up.

Other minor gripes would be lack on GPS (not aGPS) functionality, music album artwork seems to populate in the image gallery as well which is a pain.

I can see this device might actually have an impact on my lifestyle in terms of keeping in contact with people and online interfacing – it makes it so easy and a real pleasure. For example, last night I was doing some internet banking, updating facebook, reading the news and having a game of chess while listening to music through the headphones – AND installing a few apps at the same time! I also uploaded a few movies too which look great. Oh and pixel pipe is GREAT!

Wow that was long! Peace

The Following User Says Thank You to fallingleaf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hungary
Heya all,

Hungary here.

The Following User Says Thank You to hoher11 For This Useful Post:
Hi,
I've been lingering here for around a week, but took the plunge and ordered an unlocked retail N900 from NOkia direct (UK) yesterday evening. I'll be using it on 3UK with 1Gb data FUP.

I'm an experienced *nix developer - have been using *nix since around 1986, and linux since around 1996. I now run most of my work systems on linux, and laptop has been linux for around 2 1/2 years.

I'm forever using beta sw & enjoy being part of an active community to assist in reporting bugs, identifying fixes etc

I've done development in the telecom space until around 2004, although that was server-side (IVR, signalling protocols, voice messaging etc)

So this was quite simply a phone I could not get out of my head. I also considered:
* N97 - lots of bug reports but looks capable. But S60 getting very tired. (I currently have N96)
* HTC Hero - getting a bit old tech, poor camera
* Apple iPhone - concerned about closed/controlled environment. Very nice UI though. Even need a MAC to do dev.
* Motorola Milestone (droid) - a close runner, not sure about camera, not that available in UK, like idea of hw keys
* Nexus 1 - is google getting scary? Nice device though. Camera not proven, although looks ok. No keyboard, and much simpler environment. Probably a good option to develop apps on, and a high end mass market platform. Very very close
* N900 - yay!

I should add the decision ended being between
* A nice phone (nexus one)
* A micro netbook

Since I tend to faff around with stuff, use ssh/telnet, web browsing, IM, SIP the N900 seemed a far more interesting/flexible device, and the cost of being a far less "refined" phone,

I'm less convinced with the business aspects of maemo longer-term given the competition, but I hope it succeeds and will be championing the cause!

Last edited by planetf1; 2010-01-20 at 06:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to planetf1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org