Active Topics

I have the habit of imaging my HDs on my PCs for redundancy in case something happens and was wondering if the same could be done for my N810...

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
I'd never thought about this...but assuming that you just want to image the primary mmc and back it up on the secondary mmc (then you can copy it off onto a PC)

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/media/mmc1/backup.dd

and to restore

dd if=/media/mmc1/backup.dd of=/dev/mmcblk0

You would need to do a restore as root, and I imagine it would freak the tablet out quite a lot as well.
Anyone know if this would work ok?

I use partimage (Linux). The first thing you will want to do (if you haven't already) is to clone the internal install to a SD card. Then you can just plug the SD card into a desktop/laptop and use partimage to save the image of the partitions to an image on your HDD.

If you need anything more specific reply (and if you don't know how to clone to SD, search the forums or reply and one of us will get back to you).

Anyway I prefer partimage and other such imaging techniques as opposed to dd as all it takes is one error to make it unrecoverable (and unreadable for that matter) AND it copies the entire partition including free space.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
The pb program in Console tools can backup from original or cloned system
to an mmc card or usb stick.
( I think the receiving partition should be ext2 or ext3.)

Is this an answer ?

The Following User Says Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I would prefer use other options than dd. However, I think there is no other options if your are using Maemo. isn't it?

Using a PC with SD reader of course you have many alternatives

Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
I use partimage (Linux). The first thing you will want to do (if you haven't already) is to clone the internal install to a SD card. Then you can just plug the SD card into a desktop/laptop and use partimage to save the image of the partitions to an image on your HDD.

If you need anything more specific reply (and if you don't know how to clone to SD, search the forums or reply and one of us will get back to you).

Anyway I prefer partimage and other such imaging techniques as opposed to dd as all it takes is one error to make it unrecoverable (and unreadable for that matter) AND it copies the entire partition including free space.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by daperezg View Post
I would prefer use other options than dd. However, I think there is no other options if your are using Maemo. isn't it?

Using a PC with SD reader of course you have many alternatives
tar is also an alternative, if you require easy access to the saved files

About 3 weeks ago, I bought a second N800 off of ebay and was wondering the same thing, so I could get both systems the same without, you know, working. I found this handy little utility:

http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/

It works great to clone and restore a bootable sd card.