Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
...more likely, though, he may just have forgotten that his work is only a variant of a GPLed free software project and he can't just go and release it as proprietary software like he wanted to.
Hence my quoted question in the OP...

As reported, the rules may not require that the app be an original product, free of license restrictions, or made available for consumption in any way shape or form... If this is the case then I don't know what the point of this whole "competition" thing was...

It is Nokia's responsibility to its stock holders to expect a reasonable return on the money it spends. How would they explain this?

There must be an Ambiguity Division at Nokia. If there is, then the N900 would be its flagship model.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
maybe the developer died in car accident.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
or nokia forced him not to make such a wonderful app available to maemo users but to port it to new meego yhong.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Hence my quoted question in the OP...

As reported, the rules may not require that the app be an original product, free of license restrictions, or made available for consumption in any way shape or form... If this is the case then I don't know what the point of this whole "competition" thing was...

It is Nokia's responsibility to its stock holders to expect a reasonable return on the money it spends. How would they explain this?

There must be an Ambiguity Division at Nokia. If there is, then the N900 would be its flagship model.
The Ambiguity Division -- what a great name. I had a friend who started a theatre group he called the Anomaly Factory -- maybe they should merge.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
hmmm look what i found:

Stellarium Mobile has a few additional modules, including a GUI specifically tailored for a small screen and support for the N900's GPS and accelerometer. The problem is that the developer was hoping to get some money from it in Nokia's Ovi application store. He thought that leaving it licensed under the GPL wouldn't work for a commercial application, so he asked for an exception from the rest of the developers. Not all agreed, so at the moment the project hasn't been released. I don't know what Fabien is going to do eventually. (Oh, and he is the lead developer, which is a bit awkward.)
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php...92-stellarium/

So yeah the main developer behind Stellarium made the mobile version as well, but now he's blocked from releasing it because of the other developers, and the fact he won't give it away for free. Everyone looses! Yay!

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-10-19 at 04:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

I have heard about Nokia Innovators (there are so many Nokia contests that I'm confused).
I have Stellarium installed (desktop version? from maemo.org)
Stellarium Mobile has slightly modified user interface and added support for accelerometer; no other changes noticeable from the video the developer released for the contest.

Fabien has already won a lucrative prize for the application; why does he try to make the Stellarium Mobile commercial non-GPL application? Nobody is going to pay to him!

Somebody, take the source code of Stellarium and implement better GUI and support for GPS and accelerometer! If it is done quickly enough, Fabien will understand that it is pointless to charge for such small improvements. Then he may go back and work together with other developers on GPL-licensed applications.

While I do believe in developers being able to make money, if they so wish, this guy's just plain greedy. He won a prize already, and gave Nokia a license to give it out as they want... How does he expect to make any money off it?
And, I have to say, I'm glad that the other devs haven't given him permission. The project was GPL in the first place, and the dev's were working under those restrictions and benefits, and now the principal designer's trying to change things after-the-fact, and make more money off it. Yea... Not cool, IMHO.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
"I won 12.5k for my app and you have to pay for it"

Dick

edit: did any of the other SM devs get prize money??

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-10-19 at 06:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Oh no please stop the "greedy" and" nobody is gonna pay" lamentations. This is SO typical of todays everything-must-be-free behaviour.
Developing software is a hard and skilled work, but making it ready for end-users is even harder. Properly finishing, testing, documenting, packaging and supporting an app is NO FUN at all. You want to get a proper app? Pay a little something for it. You paid hundreds of $ for the hardware and dozens for $ for the services. Why not pay a few $ for a premium app? 12k is perhaps a two month salary for a skilled western developer - how much time did go into Stellarium over the years?

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Oh no please stop the "greedy" and" nobody is gonna pay" lamentations. This is SO typical of todays everything-must-be-free behaviour.
Developing software is a hard and skilled work, but making it ready for end-users is even harder. Properly finishing, testing, documenting, packaging and supporting an app is NO FUN at all. You want to get a proper app? Pay a little something for it. You paid hundreds of $ for the hardware and dozens for $ for the services. Why not pay a few $ for a premium app? 12k is perhaps a two month salary for a skilled western developer - how much time did go into Stellarium over the years?
I have no problem with paying for an app. But I can't pay for stellarium because it's not in the OVI-Store. The ported desktop-Version is not bad but there is one big annoying thing: The font is not readable. Directly after starting the program it is readable but then more an more the font is broken. That why I eagerly awaiting stellarium mobile. In the video there are no problems with the fonts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Popanz For This Useful Post:

Tags
contest, innovators, stellarium