Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Microfeed will change the way applications are communicating with micro-blogging sites and other feed-based services!

Microfeed is a specification and a reference implementation of D-Bus-based client-server architecture providing access to various micro-blogging sites, such as Twitter, Facebook, Jaiku, Qaiku, and Laconi.ca. Also other services that have feed-type interface can be intergrated into the framework.

By utilizing the Microfeed architecture, a client application can focus on user interface, while actual feed fetching is done in the background independently. The client application simply subscribes the feeds it is interested, and a provider publishes new information when it is received. The Microfeed has unified format for various messages, and supports also updating of status information in micro-blogging sites.

Mauku will be the first application that utilizes the Microfeed backend. There is already Mauku Widget available for Fremantle in the extras-devel (source). The idea of the Microfeed architecture is that multiple applications can utilize the same information at the same time.

Microfeed is an open source software project. You are invited to participate! You can contribute in many ways, such as:
  • Spread the word: tell other developer that they could use Microfeed.
  • Utilize the specification and/or the reference implemenation in your own client application.
  • Write and fix documentation. Make it easier to understand.
  • Provide example applications and tutorials.
  • Review and test the implementation and write bug reports.
  • Write bindings to other languages, such as Python. You can also rewrite the reference implementation (especially the subscriber side of the library) in other language on top of the D-Bus.
  • Implement new providers. Especially Facebook provider would be nice!
  • Enhance the specification and/or the reference implementation.

For more information, visit microfeed.org.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to hhedberg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
does this allow for end users to aggregate profiles from those various services?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Seems to be The Right Thing(tm) to do these things. I hope this gets used on the Desktop, too, so the microfeed library gets widespread use and this way has lots of people wanting it to be stable and fast.

Also nice to see this coming from someone who has had experience developing a Microblogging client for some time now, so the API is probably what an app developer wishes for

Good move!

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Congratulations and best luck with this projects. Hopefully you get users for this backend and contributors!

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
I hope we see a mauku using it on diablo soon

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Is the Qaiku feed working to you? I checked login/psw many times but doesn't load. Twitter works fine.

Also, what is the arrow/triangle in the middle supposed to do? I would expect it to go to the last post but it doesn't go anywhere.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Is the Qaiku feed working to you? I checked login/psw many times but doesn't load. Twitter works fine.
I had the same problem and didn't know that I have to "enable" the API in the Qaiku settings. Tero came across with that hint Afterwards it worked.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Also, what is the arrow/triangle in the middle supposed to do? I would expect it to go to the last post but it doesn't go anywhere.
Ah no, what makes sense is that clicking the middle arrow opens the browser with the original URL, isn't it.

This should be a good topic/demo at the Summit!

Welcome back Henrik!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:

Tags
backend, mauku, micro-blogging, microfeed, qaiku, twitter