Notices

Poll: Do you think nokia/maemo have been daft to remove the emulators?
Poll Options
Do you think nokia/maemo have been daft to remove the emulators?

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
All nintendo emulators seem to have been removed off the maemo select and other repo's.

I think this is because nintendo have confronted nokia for that "classic games in 30 secs" video on the nokiaconversations youtube channel.

We need to do something about this. As having the emulators and being able to play retro was a "big" reason for me (and possibly you) for ordering the n900.

Links for these emulators and the classic gaming wallpapers are spread out over the forum. It would be great if someone would compile these into 1 file and mirror on a "different" forum, as i would expect it to be removed if posted here.

Some more detailed information on the current situation
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35248&page=2

http://b-man.xceleo.org/files/emu/

I've compiled all the emulators into 1 file for ease of download.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NPEBODE2

Note: I have just uploaded the file so it may be a while before megaupload lets you download.

Last edited by Anwarboy11; 2009-11-29 at 14:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anwarboy11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
If anyone has the emulator debs they could just host them on Rapidshare or something and then Maemo is not promoting them???
Not that emulators without the Roms are illegal anyways...

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
If anyone has the emulator debs they could just host them on Rapidshare or something and then Maemo is not promoting them???
Not that emulators without the Roms are illegal anyways...
Yes this would be great for people like me who havn't yet recieved n900 thus not yet having the mu

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
'We' need to do something about this, cause it was a big reason for you ordering the n900.

Wtf would we need to do anything get a grip and at least try and be constructive when requesting something.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
1) The big red writing and dodgy grammar does nothing to want to make people listen;
2) Nokia can't afford any liabilities - I'd rather have maemo.org up sans the Nintendo emulators;
3) At least one person has mirrored DrNokSnes and VGBA; search.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
I also ordered the N900 because it looked great for emulation (among other things).

If someone could setup an unofficial repository for emulators, or just provite the .deb files, it'd be great.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
only hope to get them back is if some one hosts them on a private repo.
i have to say by them being took down shows who really controls maemo.org and its not the community as nokia would like us to believe

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Aweb View Post
I also ordered the N900 because it looked great for emulation (among other things).

If someone could setup an unofficial repository for emulators, or just provite the .deb files, it'd be great.
Scroll up. Someone already has. Unfortunately, we can't tell you where, cos then we'd have to kill you before Nintendo get here. Try a search engine.

Why do people buy a phone to play games? Why didn't you buy a games console?

I am quite sure TPTB in the community are in agreement with this decision and hope, as you do, that it will be temporary. But no-one wants the community - or worse the individual developers - to be sued by Nintendo.

Red letter demands are rather less likely to get help than quiet requests... someone (no, not me) knows where these are. Try asking nicely.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-11-29 at 12:28.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
1) The big red writing and dodgy grammar does nothing to want to make people listen;
2) Nokia can't afford any liabilities - I'd rather have maemo.org up sans the Nintendo emulators;
3) At least one person has mirrored DrNokSnes and VGBA; search.
I agree about the first post's style.

I also rpefer having a main website up and other distributing emulators, if this is necessary. But having everything together is still much better in my opinion.

I wasn't able to find the mirrors you talk about. Yes, I carefully searched this forum with the internal search engine

EDIT :
Why do people buy a phone to play games? Why didn't you buy a games console?
Well, because being able to play on something you carry with you all the time is better than having to bring a console everywhere you go

There's also all this raw power the N900 has, gotta be used for something, eh ?

Last edited by Aweb; 2009-11-29 at 12:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aweb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by Aweb View Post
I agree about the first post's style.

I also rpefer having a main website up and other distributing emulators, if this is necessary. But having everything together is still much better in my opinion.

I wasn't able to find the mirrors you talk about. Yes, I carefully searched this forum with the internal search engine
i searched too can't find anything on forum search or google
using google is hopeless you get flooded with page after page of nokia getting sued, which they are far from getting, taking a look at video and getting sued are miles apart

Tags
atari, nintendo