Poll: What is your exposure to Linux outside of the NIT?
Poll Options
What is your exposure to Linux outside of the NIT?

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
You know, I got to wondering, with this device being Linux based, I was wondering what peoples' other exposure to Linux was. I have seen a number of threads in my time here with folks not understanding the Linux side of the tablet. So I thought I would post a poll to see where the average usership was in relation to the Linux in general.

Personally, I am a Linux geek. I have between 14 and 20 Linux boxes at home (both bare metal and virtual), and I am a Unix/Linux sysadmin by trade. In the new job I just started, I have a Windows box at work, up until this job, I have been run Linux on the desktop since 1998. I'd like to hear others stories.

Thanks,
--vr

Last edited by VulcanRidr; 2009-07-24 at 22:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Where is the poll?

I am a Windows person for the Games. I wish it had a command line though, that's the only part I like about Linux (aside from Compiz-Fusion).

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
mainly a windows user but, Linux newbie. I have been dual booting linux for some years but always end up using windows more cause I tend to get impatient when I can't get the programs to work.

At home 100% Linux. Kubuntu on the desktop computers, fileserver on Debian, general purpose server on Slack.

At work 100% Windows (not, that I'd have a choice...)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
100% Linux at home. 100% Windows at work...

In the past two years I've went from..

Mainly a Windows user to Equally comfortable in Linux or Windows to Primarily a Linux user. I'm still comfortable in Windows, but I prefer using Linux (Ubuntu) over Windows.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Where is the poll?

I am a Windows person for the Games. I wish it had a command line though, that's the only part I like about Linux (aside from Compiz-Fusion).
What type of games? I'be been pretty impressed with the games coming to Linux. Its not there yet, but we have made some definite progress in the past few years...

I personally like simulators, preferably 3d ones, and between the ones coming to Linux natively (like Danger from the Deep, Beyond the Red Line, etc) and ones that run under WINE or Crossover, we aren't in bad shape.

--vr

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Wine is really good lately, especially if one enables UseGLSL. Since my linux is on a SSD lately, games run better than on windows (which is not SSD blessed

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Weak poll. My usage isn't covered even remotely.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I have been a windows user for years. People have tried to get me to go with Mac but I have always not liked the lack of freedom with Mac. I really don't like how they approach everything (good quality, but no freedom). I got my NIT over a year ago and it introduced me to Linux. It interested me a lot. So I put Ubuntu and my laptop and completely love it. Now I have Ubuntu on 2 of my 3 computers and hardly ever use windows. I have always looked for a good alternative to windows but didn't like the Mac option.