Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Hi all, i find the nokia N9 speakers very poor, some may disagree but so i believe, Anyways, i remember samsung having this plug-in speaker (Samsung sound mate) for the samsung D500 i believe, and you would plug it into the Port and you would get Music from these external speakers.

I had an idea... Now i tried this and it seemed that when you get a phone call Nokia N9 rings both through the Speakers and Headphones.

so the Idea was... Why don't we get a speaker, which i took from a Nokia 5230 Nuron, Same design as the Nokia 5800,but 5800 has 2 speakers, Nuron has only 1 speaker -- speakers are pretty Loud and i thought, if i were to hook it up to the Headphone Jack, Maybe they will work, seeing the headphone jack provides about 2V ~ 7 - 20 mW** well they did not. I believe there is not enough power to power the speakers, Anyone have any suggestions, Keep in mind the aim was to have something small that will notify you of incoming calls, Just a volume boost.

I would love to hear your suggestions.

(The rectangle object is the speaker- High performance-- between a, AAA battery and a 1 pence coin.)

2nd image is the size next to the nokia N9
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-12-11 at 22:37.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What type is the speaker? It looks like it might be piezo-electric. The headphone jack output may not be optimized for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
If we could find a speaker much louder and of the same dimensions we could replace n9s own speaker. But that won't happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What type is the speaker? It looks like it might be piezo-electric. The headphone jack output may not be optimized for that.
I'm not sure what type of speaker it is, But what i believe is that, it uses a neodymium Magnet rather than the typical Alnico magnets

Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
I'm not sure what type of speaker it is, But what i believe is that, it uses a neodymium Magnet rather than the typical Alnico magnets
Then it's definitely not piezo-electric

Other possible reasons for it not working: wrong impedance (on older devices it would just play quietly, new devices may have built-in protection that shuts it off completely), too little power, bad soldering (sorry but it happens to the best of us sometimes).

It may also be that the device does not like it if only one audio channel is loaded. Some devices can be persuaded to play mono through a stereo output if you connect the speaker to the left channel. That would be contacts 1 and 3 in the picture (picture courtesy of Wikipedia). Others can be tricked by shorting L+R (contacts 1 and 2), but that can cause problems if the stereo signal is way off the balance.

Last edited by pichlo; 2012-12-11 at 23:05. Reason: Added bit about shortening L+R channels.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
il have to do some more, thinking, ive seen it been done on an older phones. Il have to try a alnico magnet to see if that works, i would imagine, the alnico magnet speaker would require less power. Plus ive seen sensors and other devices being powered by the headphone jack of the iphone 4. Just gotta keep on trying until o figure it it's possible

If anything, I would assume that, all other things being equal, a speaker with a stronger magnet would be more sensitive and hence need less power than one with a less strong magnet. It's not necessarily a question of the type of the magnet, but simply the build of the speaker. Some are deliberately more or less sensitive than others.

Have you tried passive speakers like the kind that used to be popular in the late 1990s? Before they started making them with built-in amplifiers. Basically nothing but overblown headphones. You can still get them in charity or pound shops.

Another possibility is that your speaker simply does not work. Have you tried it with some other audio source?

i tried it with a different output not the speakers and i noticed they were really soft, i'm thinking it had something to do with my soldering, but its a learning step for me, just have to try again.

After some Testing, i found out that the Speaker was broken accidentally... I tried it with other sources and nothing.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post: