Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Hardly surprising, sad anyway, Another European "manufacturer" leaves Europe for good and assembles phones solely in Asia.

For me it is just another reason to see Nokia as what is it, a large faceless corporation without soul.

Washington Post Article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...LyQ_story.html

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
The "funny" part is that they think that relocating their assembly to Asia will make things right...

... as if they've lost all that market share just because the competition's assembly costs are lower

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
For me it is just another reason to see Nokia as what is it, a large faceless corporation without soul.
I've always seen Nokia that way. Just the same as any other corporation. I've never understood the misty-eyed view of Nokia that some have.

The rich shaft the poor. That's the way it's always been, and always will be. Ordinary workers are paying the price for Nokia's strategic failures, whilst the people responsible are still in their cushy jobs. Same sh1t, different day.

My website

GitHub

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Not surprising especially since the 900 will be offered at $99 when it is released through at&t in a few months.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
This makes the transition to Tizen phones easier for me. I was reluctant to buy an Asian plastic phone because Nokia hardware was so much better quality.
Now that this might be no longer true, I may as well go for other plastic phones. Thanks Nokia!

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
The "funny" part is that they think that relocating their assembly to Asia will make things right...

... as if they've lost all that market share just because the competition's assembly costs are lower
u think that roumanian workers are better payd as the assian ones?
i totally doubt that.
and if their cost with work in roumania it is because they hired a work plassament company, and they "lease" the workers from them.
so, just another method to steal some money from someone else, or... just bad management.

in two years i'm afraid that nokia will be so small, so small. and samsung will buy them.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by ioncelmare View Post
u think that roumanian workers are better payd as the assian ones?
i totally doubt that.(
It's not so much the workers' salary, as the vast automated assembly and production lines the Chinese have set up all these years.

Noone can compete with them any more in speed and quality without skyrocketing the costs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
It's not even the workers costs alone, petty much all of Nokia's sub-contractors are in Asia, like every other manufacturer from Samsung, Apple, LG, SE etc etc.

It was matter of time.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This makes the transition to Tizen phones easier for me. I was reluctant to buy an Asian plastic phone because Nokia hardware was so much better quality.
Now that this might be no longer true, I may as well go for other plastic phones. Thanks Nokia!
Well you are going to get the Asian plastic phones from Tizen, if there will ever be anything.
Around 90% of Nokia phones where already made in Asia, so it's not like much is going to change from past 6 years.

At least 4 out of 6 Nokia major R&D hubs are in West, something you can't say about the other companies. And this soul talk is just funny.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-02-09 at 15:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Lumia 800 is made in far east, the quality is 1:1 to N9...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Lumia 800 is the worst phone since n97 and n97 mini.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...