Active Topics

Originally Posted by jeffsf View Post
It does NOT charge the N900 -- on 20-40 min hold with Zagg to see how they intend to resolve.
try different cables... I will be doing so. I ordered the nokia adapters, the other adapters mentioned and will consider that rockfish cable as well. Somethigns gotta work ^_^

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
Zagg is now aware of the issue (apparently they did not have any "official" reports prior to this morning) and of this thread. They were very responsive to the call.

To be clear, the ZAGGSparq looks like a great product, nearly as nice as the now-discontinued APC UBP10. I'm hoping that they can provide a self-contained N900 solution.

I'm not much up for carrying a ton of special cables. I've had it with a charger for everything. That was the whole point of USB charging!

Zagg is now aware of the issue (apparently they did not have any "official" reports prior to this morning) and of this thread. They were very responsive to the call.
I had sent them an E-Mail last week on the subject, but I hadn't had time to respond to their response.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
I'm not much up for carrying a ton of special cables. I've had it with a charger for everything. That was the whole point of USB charging!
exactly. that's what is so frustrating about nokia's engineering decisions here. are they just trying to make a few extra bucks off specialty chargers like everyone else (standardization be damned)?

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ireland
Hey just so you know, Jawbone chargers work fine in the N900! (using the USB post that is!)

(Note: The mA output of the Nokia is rated at 1200mA/h were the Jawbone is 550mA/h. It will take longer to charge the N900 using it but if it's an over night charge it will be fine)

It does NOT charge the N900 -- on 20-40 min hold with Zagg to see how they intend to resolve.
the zaggsparq does charge the n900, it just doesn't do it with the cable provided by Nokia. You need a charging usb cable and not a data and charge cable.

Best Buy sales them, so give it a try.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...1MRA&cp=1&lp=1

Originally Posted by tennis_player View Post
You need a charging usb cable and not a data and charge cable.
Thank you, but I only want to carry one USB cable. Period.

Zagg has been very responsive. They actually called me back today, New Year's Eve, within a couple hours of my first inquiry, to let me know that they had located a N900 and tested it with the ZAGGSparq and confirmed that the N900 appeared ill-behaved. They also found that the "Power saving mode" seemed to have some impact on if it would charge properly or not.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is basically a fault of the N900 -- I should be able to plug its supplied USB cable, or any "real" USB cable, into any reasonable USB power device out there (which the iPhoneiPod have kindly populated in cars and airports everywhere) and have the N900 charge.

That the N900 had problems even recognizing the supplied AC-10 suggests to me that they need to fix this in firmware. If Nokia can't, in my opinion, this is a significant enough problem to warrant a recall/replace program.

Last edited by jeffsf; 2010-01-01 at 04:22.

Originally Posted by tennis_player View Post
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...1MRA&cp=1&lp=1
$15 for a charging cable?? You gotta be f-in kidding.

You can buy a Nokia OEM AC or DC charger for less than that through reputable channels. Amazon sells the car cords for around $15 and the wall chargers are half that or less.

$15 for a charging cable?? You gotta be f-in kidding.
Sure. That's why I bought one off of E-Bay for about 6 bucks shipped. In the near term I'm going to need my Zagg Sparq to charge up my N900. Until the problem gets worked, that seems to be the best solution to the problem. And yes, I think the solution is probably going to have to come from Nokia.

Do you think a firmware update can solve the issue or is it a hardware thing...

Tags
charging, nokia n900