Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
I hope you'll stick around in the OSS community
That's the whole point of moving "up in the freedom stack".

Thank you for all the comments!

Last edited by qgil; 2012-08-28 at 18:31.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What phone will you be using after leaving nokia and joining the freedom stack?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Thank you for everything... I'll never forget the first morning of the Meego Conference in 2011, when you stood there and told me about phone gap and about the suppose existence of the N9.

I saw a passion in your eyes that I rarely see in others.

Thank you for all of your contributions to the maemo community. Nokia, and the Qt project.

Good Luck in your future endeavors and we all appreciate what you have done for us

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What phone will you be using after leaving nokia and joining the freedom stack?
I haven't heard any rumors about a Wikipedia phone, so I'll keep my N9 for now.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Thank you for your great work at Nokia and I wish you good luck and fun with your future job!

You wrote history as the brave person from the open source community who entered a big company to successfully make them a true part of the community. Too bad that the circumstances don't allow Nokia to pursuit this path anymore.
It was a great time with Maemo/MeeGo. I still remember GUADEC 2005 where it all started.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I still remember GUADEC 2005 where it all started.
+1!

As a matter of fact, the moment where it all started for me was accidentally captured and published: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcrozat/17378458/

PS: about writing history, there were many that tried that mission. We almost made it. We all learned a lot, and I'm sure that we provided good lessons to others that are now at the top of the ranks. This community had its key role in the writing as well.

Last edited by qgil; 2012-08-28 at 18:29.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The talent that Nokia has lost is nothing short of amazing. But to lose a public facing voice of their opensource strategies, that's huge.

We've not usually seen eye to eye, but the fact we could discuss publicly about what a fan like myself and a Nokia employee like yourself thought really made me feel like I was part of a bigger something. That's what kept me around. The fact that my words, thoughts, ideas and concerns might be seen and addressed by a representative of that company is rather empowering.

Quim, good luck on all of your endeavors going forward.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Thank you Quim. Too bad it went this way, but maybe your future will be brighter now. Maemo really hit the spot for me and I really loved the community we once had. Still using the N900 you guys gave me and I probably will until it dies. Still hate the terrible battery life and the fact it's sometimes impossible to answer a freaking phone call, but there hasn't been anything I could replace the N900 with.

But anyways, good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Still using the N900 you guys gave me and I probably will until it dies. Still hate the terrible battery life and the fact it's sometimes impossible to answer a freaking phone call, but there hasn't been anything I could replace the N900 with.
Off-topic, about N900's optimizations.

My opinion, N900 can be a lot better if you apply some optimizations over the stock Maemo 5 : kernel power v50 (my N900 battery lasts 4-5 days, GSM, Bluetooth/WiFi/GPS off), over-clocking (with SmartReflex On & 850 MHz), Swappolube (or other config optimizations), etc. It is not as fast and smooth as N9, but I have never had any problem to answer a phone call.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-29 at 19:25.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Thank you Quim Gil for helping create the Maemo.org community, defend FOSS inside Nokia and be in contact with us here, by email, conferences, etc. You and the Maemo/MeeGo community are reasons that make Maemo, MeeGo Harmattan, Nokia N8x0, N900, N9, N950 so better than other competitors. You and the community that allow us to do impossible things with our great pocket Linux machines.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-29 at 19:30.