Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
I would certainly like to see an app created that somehow read the database on the site and presented a way for the user to easily click to 'install' (more like download and place in the right folder) the various wallpapers.
I agree. That's why I started packaging my classic gaming wallpapers into an installable .deb file for the N900. I'll be submitting it to extra-devel tomorrow..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
classic-gaming-wallpapers goes live on extras-devel/extras-testing tonight.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
I'd love to create a simple application like the gnome art manager with n900wallpapers.com as backend for Maemo5. It could cover the [browse->choose->download->set] workflow, also for wallpaper packs.

@Code177: What do you think about it?
Do you mind to add a script to the site that simply dumps plain xml of the theme metadata so my app can wget and parse it??

@others: your opinions are welcome!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to solideogloria For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Sounds like a great idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Creating an image set was dead easy - while the package install is obviously the best solution, it wouldn't be so bad if the site was able to slice up a 3200x480 image into 4 images, then create the .desktop file and zip them all up into a single zip file. Users could then download the zip file and simply unzip it into the images folder. Done and done.

As an example, I've gone ahead and done so with my camo image set (which has also been uploaded to n900wallpapers.com, but not approved as of this post).

You can download it here, if you're interested: http://www.maemo-guru.com/2009/10/ho...ize-your-n900/

The Following User Says Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Foremost, I've emailed a few of you directly about this - there was a bug I introduced on saturday preventing new 3200x480 wallpapers from being added to the database. I've fixed this now, so if you're wondering why your wallpaper isn't on the site, just re-upload it sorry about that.

Thanks to rcadden for tipping me off with his "(which has also been uploaded to n900wallpapers.com, but not approved as of this post)." comment..

Those of you who have been using the business end of the site will notice that I made some changes to the way the attribution/credit system works (and on the wallpapers pages too), which I think will make it easier to ensure the right people are credited in a standardized way.

On to other business:

- I'm told javispedro was working on a way to create .deb files from php. We should talk about this, as it would allow us to implement a one-click on

- solideogloria - just tell me what you need and I'll get it done!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
- solideogloria - just tell me what you need and I'll get it done!
Biiiig thanks!!!

Well, some sort of XML containing the basic information would be great. Just like:
Code:
<category>
  <name>Fantasy</name>
  <wallpaper>

<name>The name goes here</name>
    <uploader>John Doe</uploader>
    <time>1234597</time>
    <rating>4,5</rating>

<image>
      <thumbnail>/the/path/to/thumbnail.jpg</thumbnail>
      <fullsize>/path/to/fullsize.jpg</fullsize>
      <filesize>11324313</filesize>
    </image>

<image>
      <thumbnail>4 Wallpaper Packs will...</thumbnail>
      <fullsize>...have multible image-tags</fullsize>
      <filesize>11324313</filesize>
    </image>

</wallpaper>
</category>
<category>
But any other structure will do the job, too!

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
classic-gaming-wallpapers goes live on extras-devel/extras-testing tonight.
They are really nice, only just tried three of them and not problems at all. I think you can push them to testing now/soon

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Actually, one suggestion I have is to register wallpapersformaemo.com ASAP. Eventually Nokia's going to release something after the N900 which will obsolete your current name, so it'd probably be a good idea to prepare for that now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
- I'm told javispedro was working on a way to create .deb files from php. We should talk about this, as it would allow us to implement a one-click on
After some consideration I think the best way to do this is to drop the submitted files into a moderation queue (they still go onto the site as usual, but minus the .install link) then once there are enough wallpapers available to do a set (say, 6 minimum and 12 max?) a moderator throws them into a package and tosses them at the autobuilder, then adds the relevant .install to each of the individual pages?

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, masturbatory fantasy pics, n900, themes, wallpapers