Poll: Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?
Poll Options
Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Well, afaiu Mer/Nemo (similar to MeeGo CE) aims at providing a full Open Source smartphone/cellphone OS.
Yes, that I know, and actually agree with entirely. And I do understand that due to the nature of the hardware, patents, and such, that implementing GSM calling can be very hard to do. I work in the micro industry, so I understand the difficulties they're facing all to well.

My qualms were not with the project, but with the way some of the development group were attempting to solicit help here. I applaud those working on MeeGo, and wish them the best. But there were two major problems I had with what was going on in this thread:
  • Many on the MeeGo team were making the claim that MeeGo would replace Maemo5, and that "by 2013" anyone left using the N900 would be using MeeGo. This point was later backed down on to some degree.
  • Using the above "fact", a few MeeGo developers posting here actively promoted leaving Maemo development (be that CSSU or otherwise) to develop for MeeGo. They were the ones calling Maemo a "dead end platform", as Nokia had essentially abandoned it for Harmattan/MeeGo.

The first one is debunked by the simple logic that for MeeGo to take over Maemo5, MeeGo would have to at least function as well as Maemo. So far, it has not reached that goal. It currently can not reliably be a day-to-day phone for someone who does not want to miss calls or communications. Ergo my argument on that topic. I never said it was easy, just that until certain levels of use and stability are reached, MeeGo will not usurp Maemo as the primary OS for N900 users.

The "bet" as it were, that ended the debate, was that we would return at two set points in time (now and in about 8 months from now) to see if "predictions" from either side came true. The first one (that MeeGo wouldn't be a funded project in 2012) pretty much was right. The second (that MeeGo will be the OS of choice of N900 users by 2013) is still in the fog of the future.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
No, it is better to scare of potential devs calling them dead-end guys and hope nokia will save us.
I see, so it was OK when MeeGo developers said Maemo development was a "dead-end", but now that MeeGo is a year behind and no longer Nokia's "up and coming" platform, it's wrong to even speak of it? Nice hypocrisy you have there.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Why did we scare of meego/openpandora devs? Do those responsible now feel superior, or do they now sign all their posts: sent from my uber android phone loosers!!! ???
Nobody was "scare of"[sic] MeeGo developers. The issue wasn't that they were working on a sub-project. If people took exception to that there would be no discussion of the NitDroid stuff or Mer, but both were active and happily being talked about here before and after MeeGo came around. The issue was that some in the MeeGo community were actively demonizing continued work on Maemo-based projects, promoting their own camp as "the one true path" to follow.

You can believe whatever you want to, and act as you please so long as it doesn't hurt others. But when you start attacking others for not following your belief system, that's wrong. That's what was happening here and they were called on it. Some left, some were booted, and some stayed and argued civilly for a while.

If you meant "scared off", nobody scared them off either. There are many still working on MeeGo (now Mer/Nemo), and some that are working on Nemo and Maemo projects. The threads for Nemo are quite active still, and there's even been talk of merging resources, since it looks like MeeGo.com may be going away soon. A few left here because they simple weren't using Maemo, or were shunned when they bad-mouthed anyone working on community projects vs rushing to the MeeGo camp. Several have left MeeGo not because of what was said here, but because all the major players (Intel, Nokia, etc) have left, and/or shifted priorities to Tizen. Little, if any, was because of the discussion here.

I doubt you'd find anyone with "hero" status out of this thread. And while you may find several that have since left N900 for Android or some other device, most of the key players are still using N900, in their respective OS. My N900 is my only/primary phone, and I run Maemo + K49 + CSSU. I can't speak for others, but I'm sure several MeeGo people still doing development on Nemo are probably using the N900 at least as a test platform, if not dual booting and using it as a primary as well.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-01-13 at 02:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Several have left MeeGo not because of what was said here, but because all the major players (Intel, Nokia, etc) have left, and/or shifted priorities to Tizen. Little, if any, was because of the discussion here.
At least I left MeeGo(.com) because it died and has no future due to corporate decisions. The tizen story doesn't seem to be for the community so not really interested in it at this point. Still doing stuff with Mer/Nemo tough ( and making random posts here every now and then )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:

Tags
context, debate, developers, frappadecaf, infraction pts, javis vs. woody, let's troll!, meego, relevance